General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I keep blowing tail light bulbs! What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy an aftermarket plug?

Is there a chance that I had a bad ground, which would have caused the overheating, and has continued to be the problem?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Administrator

X2 for what George states, check your ground points clean and ensure they are tight and replace both bulb sockets left and right side, I had this issue on my 88 GMC C1500 and 83 S10, both had corroded grounds, a little elbow grease goes a long way , and wipe some di-electric grease on the ground connection to keep the ground point dry and clean!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Does anyone know where the ground contacts might be for the tail lights on the '06 HHR?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Administrator

follow the black wire on either side the grounds are in the back cubby hole area there, somewhere not to far in!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM

I am loving the replies....Thank you so much!!!

You all are a great help...and I appreciate that very much!

Keep 'em coming! (When you are as dumb as I am, you can use all the help you can get, LOL)
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Not dumb just inexperienced, and that's what we're here for , don't worry the only test is do the bulbs last now!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

Or you can do like some of us, and get the IPCW LED Tail lights. Pretty sick mod, and last MUCH longer.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Or you can do like some of us, and get the IPCW LED Tail lights. Pretty sick mod, and last MUCH longer.
Not if he's got a wiring issue to fix 1st.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Clovis. According to the repair manual, the ground wires for the rear lighting all junction at or just under the right side rear light housing.
Not sure if this is a body ground point or just where the grounds splice together.
That's the place I'd look first.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Same Issue

I had this same issue! While it's 2019 I bought a used car a few years ago. I blew about two bulbs a week for the better part of the year. The bulbs would turn milky white, and the people at the auto shop where I bought the bulbs told me it looked like they were getting wet. Sometimes I can go as long as a month with no issue--then all the sudden, back to two bulbs a week.... It actually has burnt/melted the plastic area around the bulb. Real issues as I was pulled over a few times when it first started (about a year after I bought it used), and didn't realize the light was out. Of course after I just replaced it I was surprised to get pulled over again.

I did find that using a towel instead of my bare hand helped some--but it only lasted a few more days. I bought so many I started to take the bulb out in the evening, because it seemed the light was staying hot. I did this in case it rained as I was told the issue was it was getting wet. After about a month of doing this... It stopped blowing leaving it in all the time. I had a similar issues with the car shutting off in the winter. For about three months the car would shut off whenever it was very cold--last winter. After about three months that stopped too...

Lastly, I had issues with tires wearing unevenly... Wonder if anyone that that particular issue with this make/model/year.

Originally Posted by clovis
I bought a new base HHR back in 2006.

We absolutely love this car, and have had no problems with it, except for blowing exterior bulbs. Within a year, I had replaced all exterior bulbs, including headlights, but have had no other issues since then, except for the tail light bulbs.

My biggest problem are the tail light bulbs. I simply cannot keep a bulb in the passenger side tail light, which will blow within a minute of installing a new bulb.

At one point, the passenger side bulb got so hot that it literally melted the plastic housing that holds the bulb in place. It got so hot that it distorted that plastic housing, and I had to file and reshape the housing so the socket would fit back in.

My dad helped me with this, and cleaned up a ground connection with sand paper and a file, which helped for about 4 months.

If you have any suggestions that might help, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thank you!!!!

Quick Reply: I keep blowing tail light bulbs! What's up with that?