General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I think I got transmission problems (auto trans)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM

I think I got transmission problems (auto trans)

Somethings up with my trans. At stop lights in D, there is a shake or vibe that wasn't there before, and the torque converter clutch is not letting go of the engine, not releasing when I think it should be. Problem is I never paid attention to it much before, but the car felt freer and would glide better when you let your foot off the pedal to glide the rest of the way up towards a stoplight in the distance. It also accelerated better before, like the tc was allowing enough slip for the engine to accelerate the car well, whereas now its like the tcc has it by the throat and isn't allowing as much slip off the line as before either. Lately when you let off gas from going, say, 40mph+ there is some braking effect and the tach does not drop off quickly it only comes down slowly with in sync with forward speed decrease, until you get down to around 25mph then it seems to release and tach drops to idle. I can be going down a hill, let off the gas and depending on the grade speed remains constant or if slight enough of a grade speed actually decreases from apaprent engine braking, even though foot is off the pedal and the trans is in OD. Its like what you get in "I" gear except its dragging in 4th instead of 3rd.

This to me sound like the TCC solenoid or something isn't working right.

Man, I hate to go through the service process but I guess i need to make an appt.

Right now, I'm not feeling like a huge fan of GM auto trans's. My Vette I had before this HHR had the 4L60E and it had to be taken apart twice, once for replacement of the torque converter, and once for something with the pump body.

If Chevy extends the cash incentives on HHR SS's maybe this is a sign I need to trade up to a 5-speed manual SS and be done with slush boxes for awhile?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 PM

Might save myself a trip to dealer and stop by Autozone or Advance Auto first and have them scan for codes. If there's no codes stored, the dealer won't do anything anyhow. I'm pretty sure the scanners Autozone and Advanced Auto use can pull transmission codes.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Same here...

I've noticed something similar in the last month or so, sitting at a redlight...the whole car would just shudder and feel like the motor was going to die...it would feel slow accelerating from the light...but throw no "Check Engine" or anything else. I'm gonna have the dealer check it in a week or so.

BTW, 2008 2.2l with auto.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Stories like this make me so glad I have a 5 speed stick in my HHR.At least your fixes are still free till 3/36,000.
Sticks are cool.Clutches rule.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Phat98
I've noticed something similar in the last month or so, sitting at a redlight...the whole car would just shudder and feel like the motor was going to die...it would feel slow accelerating from the light...but throw no "Check Engine" or anything else. I'm gonna have the dealer check it in a week or so.

BTW, 2008 2.2l with auto.
There is a TSB that ChevyMGR posted dealing with this i seem to recall. Basically you want to check and clean a ground located above the transmission and slightly behind the canister for the oil on the engine.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM

I would be very interested in that TSB ! It definitely feels like the tcc is not releasing within the parameters it should be, under the described conditions. Basically feels like some clutch drag, minor (for now) but still there.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Check out both of these:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...36&postcount=4
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...36&postcount=5
Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by m0rie
There is a TSB that ChevyMGR posted dealing with this i seem to recall. Basically you want to check and clean a ground located above the transmission and slightly behind the canister for the oil on the engine.
You are correct and that is could be the fix. Or there are some transmission bulletins and PIs also. Has the SES light come on?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You are correct and that is could be the fix. Or there are some transmission bulletins and PIs also. Has the SES light come on?
No SES light. Autozone scanned it and there were no codes stored, but I think transmission codes don't always show on the standard scanners used by the parts stores.

Checked the ground bolt referenced in the TSB, and its secure.

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 07-08-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Update

Transmission was not the problem. It was brake drag.

Quick Reply: I think I got transmission problems (auto trans)