General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Ice!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Ice!!

So I love my little Orange HHR. But as I know, it does not go the greatest in ice. Well it seemed okay out, so I went to the store. On my way back, I hit a patch of black ice. I was doing about 45 or so on the highway. It spun and it an embankment in the front and spun around and hit the embankment in the rear. I was perfectly fine and no one else was around. The VA state Trooper felt I was going way too fast, and I now have to go to court. In the mean time, because FL has high insurance rates, all the damage is going to be fixed by me. It needs new bumper covers front and rear. I am thinking of doing the SS bumpers covers. And it also needs a new rear 1/4, as there is some major denting at the tail lights. There is also a dent in the tailgate, which should take 10 mins to fix. And the front fender is not aligned right. All which I can do and my buddy is auto collision repair, so it should be cheap and done well. If anyone has any leads on parts, Please PM me. And if some one can post pics for me it would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Deceased

Sorry to hear that you went through the spin cycle Goose, as long as you're OK, that's all that really matters. I think you'll find that going to the SS bumper covers can be a bit expensive with all the mods required to make things fit, there have been some thread on doing it. As far as the court deal goes, make sure you study the police report or get a copy of it and document the conditions at the time of the accident. Were any other vehicles having troubles at the location where you spun, and did the officer call the DOT to treat the road surface? These are things to keep in mind for the day of the hearing.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 PM

when we have bad weather in Mass the speed limit on highways are usually reduced to 45 Mph
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. Since I am a Liberty student, I can get free legal advice. Which I am going to do. The officer did not ask if I was wearing my seat belt, if I had been drinking, or all the normal questions. He also did not like that fact that my tires were not up to VA standard. Though they by far passed for FL, which is the state it is tagged in. And then after the car had been loaded on the truck, and we were leaving, a semi also ran into the cruiser doing about 90. He did nothing. Roads had not been salted, I think. Though while we were there the trucks went by.

Yeah the speed limit was 65 and I was doing roughly 45 when it happened.

I am looking into the SS bumpers. My buddy can get them at 75% off for me. Though I have owed the car for over 5 years, whats the difference in the LT and the SS bumpers?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Deceased

Quite a bit in the front, you'll have to change the grill to match the bumper since the SS grill is larger and cut into the bumper farther. On the rear I think its going to be changing the under bumper impact absorbing matrix. I think that the figure of 2 grand for the front conversion has been floated about in various discussions. Its not impossible, just a case of how much you're willing to spend. You might try a search on SS bumpers for the conversion threads.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah I just read that. But I am doing ALL the work, including paint. The rear should fit right on, and the "foam" is still good. If that does not fit, its not that expensive though my guy. The front, I like my grille and will see how it looks with the gap. Thats not a bad thing for me. I am just worried about replacing the rear 1/4. Thats gonna take some work. Glad I have a garage now!