General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I'mm not real sure where to put this

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM

I'mm not real sure where to put this

Just got home from my first major run with the HHR since we bought it.

We went from Savanna Illinois to Cleveland Tennessee, a trip of just over 800 miles one way.

The first tank of gas the DIC told me I got 28.4 mpg but when I worked it out on paper it was right at 30.1 mpg.

The second tank the computer said I had averaged 32.6 mpg but on paper it was 30.1 again.

It was pretty much the same with each tank full of gas. The computer had its idea but paper and pencil told a different story. On the last tank the computer said I got 31.9 mpg and my paper work agreed with that.

The machine worked flawlessly the entire time. It was nice to have the stereo playing on all four speakers again too. Unfortunately after we got home I discovered the passenger side rear had ceased to function so I put a cheap pair from Wal-Mart in the back doors for now.

The traffic was not so bad at all on the way down but we got hung up in a bad traffic snarl in Indianapolis. They have removed the exit ramp for I-74 west and are working on both side of the highway there. Personally I think they should not have started on both sides at the same time but I do not make such decisions.

It took us a full hour to go about 4 miles. We went through there about 9:30 local time, I can only imagine how much worse it would have been during the genuine rush hour.

Once we cleared that mess it was smooth sailing the rest of the way home.

We saw maybe a dozen dead cars on the way down and 4 real bad wrecks on the way home. The first wreck was while we were still in Tennessee. Evidently a driver had fallen asleep and went over the side down into a ditch so deep I could not see the car.

There were two ambulances and probably every cop for a three county area. The ambulance guys were standing there with their rescue gear in their hands looking forlornly down into the ditch.

The rest were in Kentucky, the first of the three there was a near new looking Nissan that was burning just like on TV or in a movie. A woman, that I can only guess was the driver, was standing back a good distance from the blaze talking to a state patrol officer.

The third the driver had crashed into the guard rail in the median. It looked real bad damage wise and I could see air bags flapping in the wind. There was one ambulance on the scene and several folks that I think were in the van were standing around talking to cops and ambulance folks.

The last one looked like someone had used an emergency turn around spot and tagged a vehicle already on the road.

There were several cop cars on the scene and just a little ways up the road we saw an ambulance heading that way.

Most of these accidents were on the other side of the highway from me.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

maybe the Lounge ?

Grizzly-

The HHRs do like the hi-way. Mine sure does.

I would trust the pencil & pad first..

Nice trip, except for all the wrecks you saw..
Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Deceased

Yup, pencil and paper for truly accurate mileage figures, the DIC is an approximation.

Geez Grizzly, it sounds like you ran into a tryout for the old Joie Chitwood Thrill Show by accident, sometimes accidents breed accidents. I've had a few runs like that, just one wreck after another like everyone lost their minds simultaneously.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 AM

Yeah, I’m thinking there might have been something in the water in Kentucky that day.

Oh that’s right, there are all those whiskey distilleries right handy there,…

I have no clue how many folks were hurt, the whole reason for our trip was so the wife could have a visit with her sister in Cleveland. The wife’s sister said there was nothing on the news about any of them in Tennessee.

When I was a big time professional over the road truck driving man, I rarely saw more than two bad accidents in one day.