General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

inside door small handle well insert

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 PM

inside door small handle well insert

Washing my 2009 HHR SS today, I took notice that the little well in the inside doors, that we use to close the door looks like it is unfinished. To me it seems that there should be an insert to cover up the two screws. There is a slot in there that looks like would take a tab for an insert.

Are all HHRs like this or was mine manufactured with someone forgetting to put in inserts.

Hmm... I have a photo but just discovered that I need to be a premuim member to upload thephoto. Oh well you know what I mean by inside door handle well I am sure.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Deceased

If this is what you're referring to canroc, there should be a an inner handle trim piece. Its possible that yours was lost or became dislodged and fell out at some point.
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Lot boys routinely vacuum these out........
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Didn't GM/Chevrolet stop installing these during assembly....at some point in time. Or was that the inserts to the drink holders....maybe both?

Since, 843de has several HHR's from different years, maybe he can check.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Deceased

Well I checked and the parts on the '06 and '07 are identical, the handle insert on the 2011 is different of course since the window switches are door mounted, and its all one large piece now....master switch, bezel, and handle recess. I'm wondering if the OP means the two screw holes in the bottom of the handle recess?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM

The little black rubber inserts.......
Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Deceased

OK, now I know its been a long weekend, yeah the little rubber inserts in the handle wells, for some dumb reason I was thinking he was missing the entire piece. The rubber inserts are the same in all of my HHR's, and you're probably right on track Greybeard by saying the OP's insert was sucked out by a vacuum at the car wash or dealership.

Man I hate it when I do a "dumb" in public, sorry about that folks.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
OK, now I know its been a long weekend, yeah the little rubber inserts in the handle wells, for some dumb reason I was thinking he was missing the entire piece. The rubber inserts are the same in all of my HHR's, and you're probably right on track Greybeard by saying the OP's insert was sucked out by a vacuum at the car wash or dealership.

Man I hate it when I do a "dumb" in public, sorry about that folks.
Are they the same size inserts with or without the window switches on the door? Seems like the hole/inserts would be a bit smaller on the one with the window switches which the 2009 SS has on the door. Although either way the inserts should be fairly easy to make out of a sheet of thin rubber mat material.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 PM

I have an 09 LS and when they "made believe" they prepped the HHR (sent it to a car wash) all 4 were sucked out. The dealer unfortunately ordered the wrong ones (got for a cobalt sedan-smaller than HHRs covers), then finally ordered the right ones. I recommend putting a dab of GOOP on them-keeps em down but you can remove them when needed. Remember-a dab.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/plumbing.htm
Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
I have an 09 LS and when they "made believe" they prepped the HHR (sent it to a car wash) all 4 were sucked out. The dealer unfortunately ordered the wrong ones (got for a cobalt sedan-smaller than HHRs covers), then finally ordered the right ones. I recommend putting a dab of GOOP on them-keeps em down but you can remove them when needed. Remember-a dab.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/plumbing.htm
Thats a good idea. I think I will GOOP mine just in case. Thanks.

Quick Reply: inside door small handle well insert