General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Install bug screen for radiator ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Install bug screen for radiator ???

I am condemplating whether or not to install a nylon bug screen over the radiator for the summer months.
Seems a prudent way to protect the radiator from some minor damage and also keep it from getting clogged up with bees and bugs.

Anybody doing this and is there any known problem with adequate air flow to the radiator.

Thoughts Please .....
Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I had one over the radiator for the Florida love bug season. I used an old screen from a screen door. I draped it behind the grill all the way down. It worked like a charm. I pulled it out and hosed it off once the bug season was over.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Do a forum search for "gutter guard"....... better than screen as far as possible damage goes.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Do a forum search for "gutter guard"....... better than screen as far as possible damage goes.
Thanks Greybeard,

As you probably know I just puchased 2 new 2011's and they have the lower factory so called protector installed.

I am also going to install a lower billet grill on both.

I was really thinking more in terms of BUGS, in the upper portion and that it might also help deflect small rocks etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
jx3

Having had an HHR in Miami for 5 plus years, and making many runs to Disney and back in her (love bug alley), I'd never given it any thought. I did start w/ the gutter guard and upgraded to a billet grill, but it was to keep rocks and debris from hitting the A/C condenser, not bugs. I don't think they pose any problems, never noticed any outstanding temps under the hood.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Having had an HHR in Miami for 5 plus years, and making many runs to Disney and back in her (love bug alley), I'd never given it any thought. I did start w/ the gutter guard and upgraded to a billet grill, but it was to keep rocks and debris from hitting the A/C condenser, not bugs. I don't think they pose any problems, never noticed any outstanding temps under the hood.
Just to clearify....

In addition to the latest factoy version of an AC condenser protector I will install a lower billet grill. Thats for looks and more debris protection.

What I am thinking about is adding a nylon mesh type door screen material to keep out the bugs from the upper Radiator.
With the Car 2 weeks old, there are about 15 bee's smashed on the face of the radiator. Thats just short trips. What will it look like after a 600 mile hiway trip in the summer ??
With a screen you catch the bee's and bugs and just remove the screen to wash it out and reinstall it again.
I'm just concerned about the neccessary air flow with the screen in front of the radiator....
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Just to clearify....

In addition to the latest factoy version of an AC condenser protector I will install a lower billet grill. Thats for looks and more debris protection.

What I am thinking about is adding a nylon mesh type door screen material to keep out the bugs from the upper Radiator.
With the Car 2 weeks old, there are about 15 bee's smashed on the face of the radiator. Thats just short trips. What will it look like after a 600 mile hiway trip in the summer ??
With a screen you catch the bee's and bugs and just remove the screen to wash it out and reinstall it again.
I'm just concerned about the neccessary air flow with the screen in front of the radiator....
Nothing got lost in translation.

As I said, numerous trips from Miami to Orlando in height of love bug season (ain't any place on the front of any car safe from these awful insects), never got any kind of collection on the radiator. That includes having a billet grille that the bugs could fly right through. If you feel that the screen will give you more peace of mind, then go for it.

Sounds as if a family of bees decided to make your HHR nose cap their hive.