General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

install the running boards? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:15 PM

They didn't care about the TSB when I brought that issue up. They said they would repaint but thats all. Once I made a stink about paying this much for a vehicle and already having the car sandblasted they did sell the boards (already painted) and splash guards at cost. GM should step up and put them on FREE so it stops the paint damage but they will not they said. OH NO virus coming.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Founding Member

No the virus was going to illtakeblack. vschriver you're in the clear.

But why should someone get something for free that I had to pay for? I don't understand that logic.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
But why should someone get something for free that I had to pay for? I don't understand that logic.
Why work, if I can get free cheese from the government?

2000th post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
2000th post
Ahh, and I got to be a part of it!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Running boards are very helpful in protecting your paint. I personally think the HHR looks a bit "under-dressed" without them. Mine came with them -- I had already decided that it had to have them, so if I had found an HHR I wanted without them, was going to use them as a bargaining tool to get them. I also wanted the splash guards but mine came without them. $53 for the set at GMPartsDirect.com. Could have installed them with my eyes closed (that's how easy they go on), but I did a tire rotation at the same time, so took a bit more time and effort.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM

ChevyMgr, thanks for clearing that up.

My (used) '06's rock guards on the rear doors in front of the wheel wells were going gray-ish due to the clearcoat being sandblasted off. The area looked pretty nasty (and that didn't stop me from buying the car).

If the dealer has some discretion, and they say no, then at least try to get them at cost.

I don't think that someone should get something for free without justification, but IMO this is an actual design flaw. I love the car, and I was fully prepared to spend $700.00-800.00 for boards, paint and installation.

Either way, I think that the boards look great and you should consider them no matter what.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Founding Member

I don't mean to act like I am flaming you or anyone else on this issue, and it is much cheaper to pay for factory running boards then it is to buy them outright. It's a shame owners don't become aware of how useful they are until after they purchase the vehicle and damage is done.

3 out of 5 HHRs that came in today on transport didn't have any either. That is strange to me that GM knows what will happen but still doesn't make it a STANDARD option on all HHRs, except the SS of course.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:37 PM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
GM may paint road debris damage one time, but I don't know of any cases of them adding running boards. The OP didn't pay for them when he purchased so adding them is no different then adding a roof rack.
I Did just before the TSB came out in early 2006. So did the sales mgr's wife.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM

I didn't take it in a negative way at all.....However, since you work for a GM dealer, just get the GM Gods to cease the virus.....!!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Founding Member

[QUOTE=TomsHHR;274787]

I Did just before the TSB came out in early 2006. So did the sales mgr's wife.
You got free ones Tom? If so that's cool for you! Funny how dealership employees get all the breaks.

Quick Reply: install the running boards? or not?