General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Interior Ergonomics...or not.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Interior Ergonomics...or not.

Having owned my 2007 Premiere Edition for a little over two years now, I had put very few miles on it. Mostly in town, short run trips. My new job requires a lot of windshield time. The things that I thought were weird at test drive time have kind of had me scratching my head for sometime now (low mounted window switches, lack of lights for the vanity mirrors, etc. But some things have become so irritating, I wonder if anyone else feels the same:

Door Map Pockets - You couldn't put a map in here unless you folded it three more times. Stupid setup. The curved bottom makes these things worthless.

Cup Holders - Really? These things have been in cars since the 1980's. This is the evolution of design? A water bottle will extricate itself from the holder each time you brake. Excellent.

Armrests - Ummm, Okay, so if I put these down it is hard to shift and I can't get to my water. Whoops just braked, there's my water bottle, never mind.

Console - At best we can say this was not really thought out. Whoever is riding in the back has to flip to see who gets the one cupholder. Dumb.

Overall lack of storage - This is a utility vehicle right? The cubbies in the back are great - unless you get the rubber cargo mat. Yep, sorry - the overall storage in this car is worse than my Sebring convertible.

Just saying - it seems little thought went into the interior design when the outside is so cool looking.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Then why did you buy it? My coffee cup never flies out.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM

You still use maps?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Many will say you get what you pay for, I guess you have to bump up to the $40000-50000 range before that type of thought proscess goes into a ride.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM

seemed like a lot of people had these issues when I was buying mine, but somehow not really of them bother me.

Map pocket - drivers door, gas log and other random thing, passenger side, a couple maps (yeah they fit!) and a bunch of napkins for spills.

- Cupholders, i don't see the issue with these besides only one in back (they could have done the flip down kind out of the console or door molded ones.) i have never had a drink come out

- Armrests - comfy for me, if my arm is on the armrest i can reach down and grab the first drink easily. I am 6'2" though and ride with my seat all the way back and tilted.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM

What about the hard, "rubbermaid" surfaces of the interior?

I LOVE IT! My kids race BMX bicycles and the mud just wipes off after a day at the races.

I don't see the "map" pocket as a "map" pocket (does GM call it that?), but rather a CD wallet pocket. It fits perfectly. And my wallet fits upright in the little oblong slot next to the e-brake. I never had any drink fall in the cupholder, regardless of the type of cup, but I don't like only 1 in the back seat. Door arm rests are fine with me. No real difference in width than those in my former Cadillac CTS.

"Functionality is in the eyes of the owner"
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Ok, gotta agree, who uses maps? Just teasing, I know what you mean, can't store anything in those...I use them for change mostly.

As for the cupholders, you say they've been in cars in the 80's? They must have forgot to put them in my truck...that's what happens when you build cars in Flint. Oh, and my Lumina? Has a plastic flip out one from the console that has BREAK ME all over it, and one that slids out from the ash tray. Neither work good. I think the cup holders are alright, I mean it has to be big enough for some things to fit, like a large pop? They fit fine for me. I agree that the placement is bad though, they're too far back, and only one in the back? C'mon!

As for lack of storage, couldn't agree more. The back of the car is fine, it's the front. It needs a console between the bucket seats. Isn't that part of bucket seats? The flip up one is nice, but not in place of the middle console, it should be in addition. Glove box is fine, little, but it's a little car.

Oh, armrests....work great! I did the mod where you put the bolt in so it doesn't go down all the way, works great. As for the doors, they could use padding, but it's not too bad. Much more comfortable than my mom's G6!
I knew what I was in for when I bought it, I've studied the cars for years before I bought mine. Just some little things I've learned to live with.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Sounds like it's new car time for the OP of this thread - ie. if after owning the vehicle so long you either adapt to the car's quirks or find something else
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Sounds like it's new car time for the OP of this thread - ie. if after owning the vehicle so long you either adapt to the car's quirks or find something else
When you can no longer overlook your loved one's idiosyncrasies and counseling (what we're doing now?) doesn't help, divorce is the logical option.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mike B.
When you can no longer overlook your loved one's idiosyncrasies and counseling (what we're doing now?) doesn't help, divorce is the logical option.
Well put

Quick Reply: Interior Ergonomics...or not.