General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Interior quality rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Interior quality rant

So I have been on this forum for about 2.5 years. I would say one of the biggest complaints(non service issues) of the HHR from the LS models all the way up to the SS models, is the quality of the interior. While the SS owners do have the performance seats, and leather was an option for some of the LT's, the overall interior build has a "cheap" feel to it.
My rant begins with the fact that most new cars have a cheap interior feel to them and it is the way of the future. Its not just chevy. For the most part, unless you buy an exotic or a luxury vehicle, you will find some cheap interior components on any car. It probably will never change for a few reasons:

1st-Manufacturers have pressure on them to make vehicles more fuel efficient. The "cheap" interiors are primarily plastic which is very light weight while remaining somewhat durable. A lighter vehicle is a more fuel efficient vehicle. cars are almost 1,000 pounds lighter on average than the 1950's(found it on the internet somewhere)

2nd-The lightweight interior is made to absorb impact, like the rest of the car(which most old timers will agree) which is thin lighter metal than old cars....any car from the 50's or 60's were heavy and were built to not fall apart. I even remember sitting on the hood my grandmothers 89 cavalier. those days are long gone. A guy in love with his car cant sit on it now. you have to wax it carefully. cars are made to absorb impact and are built with a cheaper feel from the ground up. hospital bills are more expensive than any body shop bill. so for insurance companies, safer cars lead to cheaper rates.

3rd-theoretically, the cheaper the interior, the cheaper the car. A brand new Chevy Sonic is like $13,000(base). so for a person who simply needs a "A to B" type of ride, the quality interior may not be the most important thing. any manufacturer that can keep costs down, can help the bottom line.

so long story short(now that you read the long story)

the cheap feel isnt going anywhere. if you need the luxury interior, you have to buy a luxury, or at least an expensive vehicle. the light weight design of the entire vehicle, not just the interior, keeps costs down, makes cars more safe, and makes cars more fuel effiecient.

In my opinion the interior is fine. No woodgrain/leather/lazyboy seats doesn't bother me. one thing I would fix is on the door where I rest my arm right by the bottom of the window. But its not enough for me to complain about....
Any opinions are welcome!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM

I agree the interiors in our wagons is nothing fancy whatsoever. But again I have all the red dash pieces and have done interior painting to give it a nicer look. I don't need wood grain and all that fancy crap in my car.
I don't entirely agree with cars are going cheap on interiors. In my opinion the Cruze has a very nice interior for the car that it is. Hyundais have nice interiors in their cheaper cars. I have even seen some Dodge's with nice looking interiors. And yes lots of cars do have the plastic interiors though.

In the end if you want a nicer interior go buy a Lexus etc. none of us here purchased our wagons because of the beautiful interiors. I do like the radio and dash layout in the HHR though. Don't matter to me I love it even with its cheap interior.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 PM

nicely put...my love for my car is the combo of 30mpgs/260hp(or more)/63 cubic ft of cargo space. as for myself i have not seen the cruze but i had a cobalt that was plastic too. Hyundai's are getting more and more expensive too. their idea seems to be "we can be like lexus, but not cost $60,000+". I dont know if i trust them yet...their cars used to be junk
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

My wife was looking at at a 2011 sonata. Nice car plenty of power in the four cylinder. But I know Hyundai was struggling with transmission issues with them. I agree with you 30mpg plenty of cargo room and 150 horsepower is fine for me. I'd like a SS but I'm fine with my LS. Gets me around just fine and looks great. In my opinion and for my personal use its the perfect car. Ive hauled a 75 gallon fish tank and stand in one trip. A few years later a guy bought the tank from me and had to make two trips in his prius. I've also got a washer in it among other things. God I love this cat.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM

my own personal record is a 15 cubic ft apartment sized fridge...i pulled my seat up 2 inches or so...but the door shut
Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Sweet I've told people about the tank and they say "in that. No way"
Never tried a fridge yet. Nice to know in case I need to move one.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM

u know...the HHR has the cheapest interior that i have ever owned......but on the good side, its simple and easy to work on....
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM

I do have the all leather seating. I insisted on that. I love the instrument panel. The waterfall looks OK. But mine is over 3 years old now and has held up great. After a cleaning the inside looks new.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM

The HHR interior may be cheap, but I don't really mind the way it looks so much...I do think Chevrolet could've done more to spice up the interior the way VW did with the Beetle and Chrysler did with the PT, in that both cars had well-placed splashes and accents of exterior colors on the interior. And that area over the glove in the HHRs just seems so damned empty.

For less than $200, (the script cost me $10 and the waterfall paint cost $150), I was able to get a nice result without going over the top or not getting too far away from the original design. So our interiors CAN be improved and personalized without too much cash or fuss.

Last edited by Devils950003; 07-10-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

your rant is interesting and SOMEWHAT relevant BUT,

you apparently weren't around for the vehicles of the 50's, 60', 70's and maybe the 80's. Those interiors, even though made of more substantial material, were close to trash at that time. This was a major complaint by the consumer....according to manufacturer surveys. Glove box wouldn't close, doors fit like they were "dropped" together, dash materials split, upholstery faded and and ripped easily (unless it was leather), carpet didn't fit under the floor trim....trim alignment between 2 pieces was off by 1/4 inch, windows leaked water.

In short, the consumer was testing the vehicle for the manufacturer.

While, yes, the materials are plastic and thus fuel efficient lighter, the design, fit and finish is far superior.

The real question.....eliminating ALL other efficiencies, would you pay maybe $1500-2000 for an upgraded interior to metal products, heavier carpeting and better upholstery with maybe 3-4 MPG less?

Remember, while the HHR is an interesting design, it is essentially an economy car.....even in the SS version.

Quick Reply: Interior quality rant