General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Interior quality rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I don't mind the interior of my 06 1LT. I bought the car as a daily driver and have been pleased with its performance after 98K miles on the clock. I have carried a V6 engine and transmission in the back end. It was hard getting all that in (a heavy sucker) and using the engine hoist holding the engine etc was a hard fit and we walked the engine in. It took about a minute to get it out with a similiar hoist. ??
Wow, that is a lot of weight, but great that you were able to get that load in the vehicle.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM

I like my Ebony interior in my LS.I ordered the LS because it was plainer and it had cloth seats. I like the lack of chrome. I like the ride of my HHR. The seats are the most comfortable I have been in. I rented a HHR for a week before I bought one to make sure I liked it.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM

I have only owned my HHR for two days, and the one thing I have noticed is the inside door handles are cheesey. I have done auto glass for over 20 years and have replaced alot of door handles, but the hhr door handles are a crappy design.My passenger handle was broke and when I looked closer I saw the driver side was also broke, but someone fixed it with a little strip of metal and two screws.So I fixed the passenger side in the same fashion. It works great and I saved 75.00.So I guess I`ll live with it .
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

re: inside doorhandles - some believe they break due to people pulling the door closed with those chrome handles, rather than using the recessed grip built into the door panel which is what they were designed for. You might want to keep that in mind.

BTW - Chevy wants big $'s for the handle (as it includes the whole door panel), but some have found replacement handles like it looks like you found out already.

Enjoy the HHR - hopefully you will find it quite versatile and quite comfortable.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Wow, that is a lot of weight, but great that you were able to get that load in the vehicle.

I hope you have a great weekend.

My mpg did drop with that load down to 27 mpg for the couple of hundred mile trip.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BobHHR715
I have only owned my HHR for two days, and the one thing I have noticed is the inside door handles are cheesey. I have done auto glass for over 20 years and have replaced alot of door handles, but the hhr door handles are a crappy design.My passenger handle was broke and when I looked closer I saw the driver side was also broke, but someone fixed it with a little strip of metal and two screws.So I fixed the passenger side in the same fashion. It works great and I saved 75.00.So I guess I`ll live with it .
Yes you have to watch as you can not close the doors with them or yank really hard on them. They are cheap but if used as they should be they seldom break. One person somewhere yanking them hard can do the damage to break them.

Keep in mind this car was done prior to the GM chapter 11 and is one of the last cheap interiors they offered. The HHR never got the new interiors like they are doing today.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
My mpg did drop with that load down to 27 mpg for the couple of hundred mile trip.
LOL, 27mpg eh? I wish I would get that with my Tahoe. I didn't realize there was that much room in the HHR. I know there was room, but never thought about hauling that type of cargo in them.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Deceased

If you think the interior of the HHR is plain or cheap, try a new Corolla. We have one this week as a rental car, its horrible, the plastic is cheap and the dash rattles like a Castanet on every bump. So much for the "Vaunted Toyota Quality". Man I miss my HHR's.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Relevent to this thread. Wife and I swapped cars for a few days. She was very happy to get her Ford Taurus back due to the comfort. It is 5 years older than my HHR. She will not consider a GM product because she feels that Ford has better, more comfortable interiors. This has been my experience also, so far. (My '83 T-bird was comfy as all get out) I am not saying that GM hasn't kicked up their game since my HHR as far as interiors nor am I complaining. The seats in the HHR seem to be the most comfortable I've had in a car since my T-bird and the wife even gives the SS seats high marks.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Park yourself in a new ATS Cadillac or Buick Lacross and you will see just where GM is today. The HHR and the up to date GM vehibles are night and day on the inside.

Even my Terrain is very nice and quiet vs most other cars in it's price range.

The All new Impala is a knock out inside.

Quick Reply: Interior quality rant