General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Irony...Like the Car so Much, Don't Really Use It Anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Irony...Like the Car so Much, Don't Really Use It Anymore!

How's this for ironic?

I have a 2007 HHR 1LT. I bought it in June of 2007 with seventeen miles on it, and it now has only a little over 22,000. About a month ago I moved to a new house, and now my drive to work each way is about fifty miles. I couldn't bear to put at least 500 miles a week (2000 a month? OWCH!) on the HHR, so I wound up buying an eight year old "beater" car to take the punishment instead. So now I have a car I adore that sits, clean, dry, and pretty, in the garage, lonely and unused. I probably put all of four miles on the HHR in the last two weeks, just on runs to the grocery store two times.

Is it odd to like a car that you're still paying on so much that you barely use it? Another irony is that in the Regional forum for my area, there was a series of HHR meets at a place called Tom's Farm that used to be pretty far from me, and I never went to the meets there because of that distance. Now I drive past Tom's Farm every day on the way to and the way back from work! I see the place ten times a week, at least!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Problems that trouble a man's mind

Originally Posted by playgames1970
How's this for ironic?

I have a 2007 HHR 1LT. I bought it in June of 2007 with seventeen miles on it, and it now has only a little over 22,000. About a month ago I moved to a new house, and now my drive to work each way is about fifty miles. I couldn't bear to put at least 500 miles a week (2000 a month? OWCH!) on the HHR, so I wound up buying an eight year old "beater" car to take the punishment instead. So now I have a car I adore that sits, clean, dry, and pretty, in the garage, lonely and unused. I probably put all of four miles on the HHR in the last two weeks, just on runs to the grocery store two times.

Is it odd to like a car that you're still paying on so much that you barely use it? Another irony is that in the Regional forum for my area, there was a series of HHR meets at a place called Tom's Farm that used to be pretty far from me, and I never went to the meets there because of that distance. Now I drive past Tom's Farm every day on the way to and the way back from work! I see the place ten times a week, at least!
Option A: Sell the 'beater' & start driving the HHR again. You'll enjoy driving again & maybe you can stop & talk to the 'Tom's Farm' folks, etc. When it gets too many miles, buy a new one.
Option B: Sell the current 'beater' & buy a HHR 'beater'. You'll enjoy driving again & maybe you can stop & talk to the 'Tom's Farm' folks, etc.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Not driving a car is the worst thing you can do! Causes many problems...and that short of a drive will never let the engine warm up!

(But I'm not one to talk...)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM

I know the brief trips and sitting are bad for a car in their own way, but 24,000 miles a year seems worse. Financially speaking, too, there's no way I could swing another HHR, used or not. I wanted to, though!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Like my mom tells me...you're only saving it for someone else...

(But then again, do I take her advice? Not always...)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't want to drive it to work. 24K a year is high, but not ridiculous. Yes it will wear out faster, but it will still last for many years. Cars can easily get 150-200K miles on them, especially if a lot of it is highway driving. Plus the HHR gets pretty good mileage as well. Right now, the car is depreciating while sitting in your garage and you can't even enjoy it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Use it!

Once your dead someone else is just going to enjoy what you missed.

Besides If you wear it out some else will die before you that stored one and you can buy it and enjoy it.

I do not say this to be crude but it is true. I am a original Fiero owner and have seen many people put Fiero's up and die with out enjoying them. Many have passed on only to have someone else get the good out of there cars.

Note when I point the finger at you on this I am pointing at my self as I do not drive my car as much as I should either. I need to heed this advise as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Hey, like I said...my HHR is salt free in the barn.... I really should be enjoying it just for the fact it might not rust out as fast, which will only help me if I keep it a long time (which I was planning, but may be reconsidering...)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 PM

My HHR is sitting in the barn right now as well. I'm not trying to save miles, but it's more about the salt and rust. Come the nice weather and this thing will be used as much as it was last summer, mainly for long day trips and weekend extended trips.

I still miss driving it lately.

I have a 23 year old Silverado (83k mi) and a 23 year old Suzuki Samurai (70k mi) that are all original and are in perfect shape from being cared for in this way. My HHR will be part of this "fair weather" collection. I want to keep it far longer than the typical 3 years or 4 years, because it's one of the vehicles that I really like (as much as the other 2 mentioned above).

I agree that you need a winter beater if you want to prolong the life of your HHR. I drove my Blazer for the past 13 years as my "winter beater" and it recently was crushed in the "cash for clunkers" campaign, but they didn't get much. It was nothing more than a pile of rust with a few pieces of body moulding holding it together. I now run an S10 4x4 pickup in winter.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by playgames1970
How's this for ironic?

I don't think you're nuts. I'm in the same boat on the commute. I put the bulk of the miles on Colyanzu, as it is the beater truck. My HHR is used more for trips and weekend running. With Colyanzu on the fritz (again) at the moment, this will be one of the rare weeks that the HHR gets used for commuting.

Quick Reply: Irony...Like the Car so Much, Don't Really Use It Anymore!