General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Irony...Like the Car so Much, Don't Really Use It Anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Playgames--the Tom's Farm event in November is the once a year premier g2g for SoCal HHR's (we had 60 cars show up this time!) -- sorry you missed it.

However, the SoCal HHR group is VERY active and we are always planning g2g's and would be delighted to see you and your SS!

Tim (Tkhhr) put together a great g2g for this weekend, rain or shine:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-pacific-36/socal-hhrs-all-poker-run-cruise-27332/

Or check out this link for g2g's: http://www.socalhhrs.info

See you soon.

@ngelita & Sirius Blackie
Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 AM

drive the hhr. you're paying for it and it is sitting there. so sad.

what kind if mpg does the beater get, is it really saving you enough.

my brother in law is in the same boat. got transfered and puts 1k on their new Vue almost every week
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Well, since you already have two cars. Drive the HHR one or two days a week-you still get to drive it, but it keeps the miles down...
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM

My commute is the same as yours..one of the reasons I bought the HHR. I wanted something a step above an econo-box but also a vehicle that gets decent mpg. My commute is probably 98% highway as I get on it maybe 1/4 mile from my home and get off about 1/2 from work.

Bought my HHR in May of 2007 with about 200 miles on it (came from a Connecticut dealer to NH) and I just turned 76K. In the warmer weather if I cruise between 65-70 mph I get anywhere from 32-35 mpg depending on traffic. In the colder months AND if I stay below 80 mph I get around 29-31 mpg. So overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Knock on wood I really haven't had to do anything to it other than change the oil and a set of brakes. I'm going to be throwing some new rubber on it shortly as well.

GM has a winner with the Ecotec that is for sure. I've never been a huge fan of domestics but this HHR so far is not giving me a reason not to be one. Right now GM is throwing all sorts of cash at me to get a new car. Between the military discount, regular rebate, loyalty cash and top off GM dollars to 2K it has me interested in a Malibu .

But all that to say that I bought the car as a commuter car and am using it as such. If my ride was a shorter commute I would be a Silverado 4x4 no questions asked

Goose
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM

You don't need two cars. I'd sell whichever one you don't drive. Save the money spent on registration and inspection fees and insurance and buy yourself a new 52" TV or something.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by playgames1970
How's this for ironic?

I have a 2007 HHR 1LT. I bought it in June of 2007 with seventeen miles on it, and it now has only a little over 22,000. About a month ago I moved to a new house, and now my drive to work each way is about fifty miles. I couldn't bear to put at least 500 miles a week (2000 a month? OWCH!) on the HHR, so I wound up buying an eight year old "beater" car to take the punishment instead. So now I have a car I adore that sits, clean, dry, and pretty, in the garage, lonely and unused. I probably put all of four miles on the HHR in the last two weeks, just on runs to the grocery store two times.

Is it odd to like a car that you're still paying on so much that you barely use it? Another irony is that in the Regional forum for my area, there was a series of HHR meets at a place called Tom's Farm that used to be pretty far from me, and I never went to the meets there because of that distance. Now I drive past Tom's Farm every day on the way to and the way back from work! I see the place ten times a week, at least!
Driving your car on the weekend for some of the so cal get togethers would not put alot of miles on it. We just had a Poker run yesterday that was a great time.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Why would you buy a house 50 miles from work? just askin. I used to have a 68 mile commute for an entire year about 6 years ago. It was HELL. Of course, that's due to Seattle traffic. If it was rural, it might be different...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
You don't need two cars. I'd sell whichever one you don't drive. Save the money spent on registration and inspection fees and insurance and buy yourself a new 52" TV or something.
Says who? Maybe some people want more than one car.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
ecl

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Yeah thats true but then again there is a diference between want and need right? JK. Any ways I put roughly 22k on my car the first year and will be about 20-21k this year so with in two years of ownership a little over 40k miles. I would just drive the HHR and get rid of the beater or just keep it for winter and odd job things you dont want to use the HHR for. Thats why I had a Bronco II but cost and my crappy apartment complex parking got me to get rid of it.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Maybe, if you live in Michigan, you can has 2. Definitely not 3 though.

Quick Reply: Irony...Like the Car so Much, Don't Really Use It Anymore!