General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

It's Official! An HHR For Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 PM

Thumbs up It's Official! An HHR For Me!

Hey gang!

I posted on here a while back because I was shopping for my first new vehicle. It came down to the Pontiac Vibe and HHR (here's my thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8633).

Well, after weeks and weeks of intensive research and a couple of test drives, I expect to take delivery of my new 2006 HHR LT on Saturday! YES!!!!! I am soooo stoked and can't wait for the day to arrive!

You guys have been especially great in helping with my decision. Thanks a lot! This is my first new car and my mind is running through mods, car care and a million other questions all at once! Oh well, I guess I still have a couple of days to try and answer some of them.

I'd like to run a couple or questions by you right now though -- one serious and the other more fun:

1. My HHR has just over 100km's on it but has a June 2006 build date (if I remember correctly). Should I be worried about the oil (and to a lesser extent the gas) that's in the car or are modern lubricants good enough that I shouldn't worry?

2. Should the first song I play in my car lean a little on the retro side (maybe something like Johnny B. Goode as that's my first name) or do I crank something more current?

Oh man, the wait is killing me! Thanks for all of your past, present and future help everyone! Cheers!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 PM

Congrats on the new ride, man!

If the dealer didn't do it for you, change the oil asap just to be sure it hasn't been sitting in there for a year just drying out.

Also, get some retro music in there. It's how ya gotta do it!

Out of curiousity, what dealer did you get yours from? I just picked mine up in Markham, not too far from you.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Banned

doesnt have to be too old, stevie ray vaughn works well
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by jbbadboy
Hey gang!

I posted on here a while back because I was shopping for my first new vehicle. It came down to the Pontiac Vibe and HHR (here's my thread: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8633).

Well, after weeks and weeks of intensive research and a couple of test drives, I expect to take delivery of my new 2006 HHR LT on Saturday! YES!!!!! I am soooo stoked and can't wait for the day to arrive!

You guys have been especially great in helping with my decision. Thanks a lot! This is my first new car and my mind is running through mods, car care and a million other questions all at once! Oh well, I guess I still have a couple of days to try and answer some of them.

I'd like to run a couple or questions by you right now though -- one serious and the other more fun:

1. My HHR has just over 100km's on it but has a June 2006 build date (if I remember correctly). Should I be worried about the oil (and to a lesser extent the gas) that's in the car or are modern lubricants good enough that I shouldn't worry?

2. Should the first song I play in my car lean a little on the retro side (maybe something like Johnny B. Goode as that's my first name) or do I crank something more current?

Oh man, the wait is killing me! Thanks for all of your past, present and future help everyone! Cheers!
Congrats on your purchase. And good luck with it.
And don't forget to post some pictures....................
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Hey congrats and welcome to The Club! Post photos when you can.

As far as the oil goes - I would talk to a few different mechanics about changing it. My personal opinion is that it may have some break-in additives from the factory, and if you go changing it too early, you won't get the benefit of those. Of course, they may not even be putting them in anymore, so check with someone who is Chevy-knowledgeable.

Your rotors may be a little uneven from sitting so long. Mine were, but have since broken in nicely, without being turned. How about the tires? I'd be a little concerned about flat spots on the tires. Make sure there is no vibration at any speed.

As far as tunes... I'm partial to Green Grass & High Tides by The Outlaws. It's about 9 minutes long, and has some of the best of the old guitar jamming that I grew up with.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 AM

My 07 was built in 9/06 and I changed out the oil at 1100 miles. afaik it is just regular Mobil 5000 in the sump so changing it isn't going to hurt anything....I don't think I ever thought about playing retro music...lol I just hooked up my I-Pod to the Aux and went cruising down the road to all sorts of music

Goose
Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 AM

Well, CONGRATS are in order, for your new baby, Enjoy and Drive Safely.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jbbadboy
Should the first song I play in my car lean a little on the retro side (maybe something like Johnny B. Goode as that's my first name) or do I crank something more current?

WELCOME!!!

Glad to have you join us...

My HHR always plays oldies (especially SURF GUITAR CLASSICS)...

I would definitely reccomend a bit of St. Louis' very own CHUCK BERRY'S - JOHNNY N GOODE!!!

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 06-28-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil - ask the dealer about it as it is in their best interest, as well as yours, to ensure you remain a happy customer. A happy HHR makes for a happy owner!

As for tunes, mix it up! The HHR is a modern car with a nod to the past. My tunes, thanks to my Ipod, shuffle around from George Jones and The Beatles to Mobile and Shiny Toy Guns!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 AM

If you have XM, go to channel 6. 60's music all the time. Everytime I go to a car show, I play that before and after. Great retro music. OH, and welcome. You won't go wrong.

Last edited by KY Dave; 06-28-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Forgot welcome.

Quick Reply: It's Official! An HHR For Me!