General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

It's Ruined...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 AM

It's Ruined...

It happened a few hours ago...sitting at a red light, waiting to turn right, I was rear ended by a big Chevy truck that was a pizza delivery guy. He thought I was going to go, so he hit his gas and plowed into the back of my HHR. I have had this car since June of 2007, and have kept it absolutely spotless and flawless ever since. It's been washed every seven days since then, and waxed every two to three weeks. No dings, no scuffs, no flaws. But now my tailgate is punched in hard, crushed and crumpled deeply in, and my bumper has a huge indentation and scuff mark on it many inches wide and deep. I felt embarassed in traffic as I drove home after the incident. I kept it perfect inside and out since the day I got it, and now that's done. Even if it gets fixed, it wont be the same parts that I got, and who knows if the paint will truly match with different dye lots and trying to match paint that has been aged a couple of years in the sun.

It's dumb, maybe, but with how much I love this car and how much effort I have put into keeping it perfect, I feel about the same as if my house burned down. It is a very unsettling feeling. Not cool.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 AM

Glad youre ok. Todd(UMA)'s baby had been smacked hard in the rear like you described TWICE and it came out fine. Maybe time for a new look? These cars bounce back pretty good but I know, it must blow seeing it damaged. Best of luck putting it back and keep us posted.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 AM

I forgot to mention the cliche: of course, the other car has not the tiniest scratch on it. It looks brand freaking new, while I have a totally caved in hatch and bumper. Ahhhh! He doesn't have so much as a scratch or scuff. How does that happen?!?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 AM

Unhappy

Sorry for your accident ,I feel your pain ,I hit a deer 2 months ago & had to fix my panel back. Just be thankful you weren't hurt.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:07 AM

Sorry to hear about that...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Regrets

Originally Posted by playgames1970
I forgot to mention the cliche: of course, the other car has not the tiniest scratch on it. It looks brand freaking new, while I have a totally caved in hatch and bumper. Ahhhh! He doesn't have so much as a scratch or scuff. How does that happen?!?
I know how you feel, my GMC Sonoma was three weeks old when it was rear ended, decided to have it customized after that incident. It was black which made it easy to match.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM

My SS was crashed 3 days after I bought it.

To say that it did not hurt to see it would be a lie. But To be honest when my son and wife showed up it put things into perspective.

When the other guy tuned infront of me and stopped for no reason I had 3 choices of what I could so. The less than a second I had to decide to try to turn the car and make an intersection right turn at a speed an SS should not was the right one. If I had hit him in the side at 50 MPH+ I would have killed him and who know how bad it would have been on my end.

The point is any crash you walk away from is a good one. I rode home that night to my home with my family not to the hospital in intensive care.

They build HHR's every day for at least now and you can always replace a car but if your life was changed for the worst you would have to deal with that forever.

Sorry I do not mean to be overly dramatic. I just have had many ask me if I was still upset and I can say no.

FYI: I have been in to bad crashes and the crazy thing is I have both cars yet. The HHR was not damages very bad and only needed a intercooler, bumper covers and some other small parts.

I also have a Fiero that had a guy in 1987 pull out of a driveway infront of me. I still show the car and just won second place in a sports car class at a large show over 2 Cobras, a couple Porsche and other sports cars.

The bottom line is you walked away with no perminate injury and they should be able fix the car or you will find a replacment that is as good or better. You can always replace or repair a car but perminate injuries and death are forever.

I am not trying to dramatic here as I hate that crap. But I have been through this 2 times and just want to pass along this will pass and you will get over it. Just keep it in perspective.

The worst part of this will be all the lawyers that will be calling for the next month. Was a Pain in the ^&#$#.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

playgames1970-

I agree with the other members. Good that you are ok & still alive.

FWIW: My last ride was a 1998 Chevy S-10 I bought new. I babied that truck, wash/wax & heavily modified it.
Just over 3 yrs ago my wife was following me, she thought I was gonna pull out, but since traffic was coming in other direction I stopped.
Yep, she rear-ended my truck, which I only had a roll-pan on in rear.. NOT good.

I was so bummed, I felt my baby (the S-10) was violated. But I got it fixed very well, & kept it till just Aug 29.09 when I got my HHR Panel.

We can't change some things. But we can change how we react to them..

Hang in there man..I know its' tough. Maybe greater things lie ahead for you.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The worst part of this will be all the lawyers that will be calling for the next month. Was a Pain in the ^&#$#.
By far one of the worst things that will come of this. The calls and the mail is just astounding.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Resist the urge to go with any of the "ambulance chasers" they are out for their own profit, and you would be amazed at what they can get away with and how little they leave for you. Best place to go first is your insurance agent.

Quick Reply: It's Ruined...