General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Jingle bells

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Jingle bells

Off and on for years, I have tried to attach jingle bells to Red, without much luck. Big bells, little bells, parachute cord, screen door springs, wire, twine, etc., all to no avail. They don't jingle! I have now scored modern sleigh bells of varying sizes. By their weight, I think this is my bell. A door spring didn't work. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 AM

did you paint the rims red or buy like that
Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Powder coat WV rally's.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM

It looks to me like you have roof racks on the top or your panel truck.

You could build a dedicated heavy duty amateur to hang the bells from. That way they would probably jingle fairly well at low speed and you could always have a string to make them jingle if you rolled down the window.

I suppose if your serious enough about it you could drill a hole in the roof for your string.

I used to work in a blacksmith shop when I was much younger. When there was nothing else to do I would make sleigh bells in my spare time. Most were just sheet iron but some were totally hand forged from scraps of iron.

That was part of my apprenticeship, I had to learn how to make a lump of iron into sheet iron.

We had hardy tools with various size balls to form the bells on.
Not all of the jingle bells were made of iron or steel some were brass, bronze, and even copper and aluminum.

A lot of farmers liked to put the bells on their cattle and cows.

I once made a whole bunch of brass cow bells with no clapper for the music teacher at school and he tuned them and mounted them in such a way that they could be played with drum sticks. Later he had me build a set of iron sleigh bells without the jingle ball in them that were later tuned and played with drumsticks too.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

That is an idea on the rails. Smaller bells attached to the rail. If I'd had a choice, there would not have been a rack, but it came with the car. All other bells have been added underneath or engine compartment. Thanks...
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM

You could make a bar to go between the roof racks and attach the bells to the bar. You could then make it removable.