General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM

Just a thought

We I got rid of my F350 it was to buy my first Chevy since I was 14 years old and driving the strip in Anchorage. Being an outside salesperson it seemed like a logical choice and I was right. I did not know I would like this little car so much but I am looking forward to driving it all the time. I will do my first long distance road trip next week so we will see how the mpg pans out.

The only thing that bum's me out about this car is not being able to run chains it has put a kink on where I can go during the winter months in Oregon but I will work it out I am sure. Now to resist the modification bug until the spring or when I can convince the wife that it is needed...lol

Thanks to all the regulars here on making this site fun to lurk on..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Cool, & The 'mod bug' is a hard one to resist.. I

Enjoy your trip when you do go..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Not being in an area where needing chains would come up but why can't you run chains?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

I have run mine is some pretty severe conditions, with just all seasons. I use mine for sales too, roofing, I just schedule the snowy areas for when the snow melts, would play hell putting on a roof for them till the snow melts anyway...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM

HHR will not accept them without damaging the front suspension.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Most of the time scheduling is not an issue but going thru the passes requires chains or traction tire and when it gets bad they require chains or they will not let you pass. I just don't want to get caught on the wrong side of the mountains and not be able to get home.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by OregonHHR
Most of the time scheduling is not an issue but going thru the passes requires chains or traction tire and when it gets bad they require chains or they will not let you pass. I just don't want to get caught on the wrong side of the mountains and not be able to get home.
Not sure if yours has "traction control" but if it does just add a set of Bridgetone Blizzaks for maximum all around traction in winter. You won't find many conditions that will stop you if you know how to drive in winter weather.

I personally have 16" wheels and I went to 205/60R/16 Michelin Ice 3 because I do not travel the passes here in Washington. They ride and handle excellent and they are quiet too.

The Blizzacks are another step up in traction from the Michelins.

SF
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks I will check them out.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM

There is very little clearance between the top of the front tires and that strut bracket. Not surprised you really can't run chains, though never having needed them, I really never gave it a thought.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM

My area doesn't get that much snow, but I have driven the SS through several inches of snow. It doesn't grip like my truck tires, but it does well enough to get me through. If the weather is really bad, I just take the Avalanche with 4WD instead.

Quick Reply: Just a thought