General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Just Totaled my 2006 Spring Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011 | 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I hope everyone heals well from their injuries. Accidents suck.

I had to google Wawanesa because I have never heard of them. If insurance totals your vehicle it won't be for what the body estimate is, but what they deem the value, and they will keep the HHR. Or they will pay the estimated repairs and you can keep it with a salvaged title. So hold tight on decisions for your next ride. Personally I wouldn't want to try and rebuild 8K in damages.

This thread is not quite a classified ad, so if and when you get ready to sell, come back and post an ad with prices on everything you are selling or one price for the whole wreck.

Thread moved from classifieds.
Not quite correct, ChevyMgr.

If it's repairable, they pay for the repairs (less deductible).
If it's a total loss, they could pay 1 of 2 ways:
A) They pay out the market value (less deductible) and take the vehicle; or
B) They pay out the market value, less the salvage value and deductible, and the owner gets to keep the vehicle. Vehicle has to be re-registered with a 'salvage' title. This is the way it is in most states. (Your state may vary...)
Old 07-29-2011 | 12:35 PM
Deceased

Excellent clarification Marshall, not many folks know what to expect if their vehicle is "totaled" by the underwriters, there are many misunderstandings as to what exactly "totaled" means.
Old 07-29-2011 | 03:11 PM
Founding Member

Krash, you are probably correct, even in Texas. When my HHR got totalled I quit hearing anything after the adjuster said "Yes you can keep the car, but it will have to be re-titled as salvage". Once I heard salvage I knew that was an option I wasn't going to take.

I made out like a bandit on my total. My Premiere Edition HHR was 2.5 years old, had around 9200 miles and I owed $9.5K on it (sticker was $20K something). They gave me $17K after the deduct. Sweetest wreck I was ever associated with, since the book value on it was around $14K at the time.

edit: This got me thinking about my old HHR so I ran the VIN. It's owned by a lady in Houston and had 21K on it when a new tag was issued in January of this year. It does show a salvaged title. Some vehicles you just can't kill. Hope she is taking good care of it.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 07-29-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added edit
Old 07-29-2011 | 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
edit: This got me thinking about my old HHR so I ran the VIN. It's owned by a lady in Houston and had 21K on it when a new tag was issued in January of this year. It does show a salvaged title. Some vehicles you just can't kill. Hope she is taking good care of it.
Some people are probably driving around with 'salvage' titled vehicles without even knowing it. My Ford Focus wagon is out there somewhere. It was auctioned off at the local CoPart lot about 2 months after I totalled it last October. I saw it in a CL ad about 3 weeks later. Called the seller - was just a auto body guy who was trying to make a few $$ on the side. He was surprised to learn that I had actually rolled the vehicle (in the snow) -he evidently overlooked the fact that the whole body around the A and B pillars was tweaked.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it out on the streets some day.