General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Kentucky Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Scroll way down to Exhaust: You will find Exhaust, aluminized stainless-steel muffler and tailpipe same as GM has been using since at least 1998 on my S-10

It is the Last listing in MECHANICAL section.

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrol...ado-1500/specs
Good info! I had no idea they were doing this with exhaust.

Originally Posted by tiapetra
There is really no way of knowing without chemical testing.
There is such a thing as aluminized stainless (of virtually any of 50 or more grades of ss)
The reason for it is basically because the rust preventative outer scale of chromium oxide looses it's strength with higher heat.
Without going into a bunch of jargon, 409 is better for exhaust if you don't want looks, why most oems use it. Aluminized ss is better yet, but inhibits welding.

Personally I would want 100% 409 and no aluminized anything, that way I would be sure it's all stainless and should outlast the vehicle anyway.
I am well aware of aluminizing stainless. It is just a coating. I had no idea that it was done to exhaust was all. I work in food grade process engineer land. It can be applied to any metal really. I had several classes in college where we learned about the composition of metals at the molecular level. If you wanted a fix all exhaust that would never rust or need repaired you would want 304 stainless. 409 is a garbage metal that is (if made correctly) over 10% chromium (maybe why my resonator pipe rotted so badly if it was stainless). There are many that are far worse in the land of stainless but it sure isn't going to last like 304 or 316. I suppose it would make sense to aluminize it but I wouldn't have expected it to rot off of a vehicle before you saw rust on body steel. Especially underbody with as many plugs they put in these things.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by User Omega
I also performed a search on google foraluminizing stainless steel as I had never heard of it and wouldn't understand the point. I only found the lowest of grades having it done and finding nothing when it came to using it for exhaust systems when speaking stainless. Ferritic stainless is highly resistant to corrosion. Not as great as say 304 or 316 but for an automotive application I would expect it to last the life of the vehicle without a coating.

Good info! I had no idea they were doing this with exhaust.

I am well aware of aluminizing stainless. It is just a coating. I had no idea that it was done to exhaust was all. I work in food grade process engineer land. It can be applied to any metal really. I had several classes in college where we learned about the composition of metals at the molecular level. If you wanted a fix all exhaust that would never rust or need repaired you would want 304 stainless. 409 is a garbage metal that is (if made correctly) over 10% chromium (maybe why my resonator pipe rotted so badly if it was stainless). There are many that are far worse in the land of stainless but it sure isn't going to last like 304 or 316. I suppose it would make sense to aluminize it but I wouldn't have expected it to rot off of a vehicle before you saw rust on body steel. Especially underbody with as many plugs they put in these things.
I was responding to your first post above where you stated you had never heard of aluminizing stainless steel.
Sorry for you experiences with 409, but I've had the stellar results as everyone else I know. Work trucks as old as 1994 have yet to even have any surface rust on the 409 exhausts, but of course I am in the deep south and see no salt roads, just some salt air being less than a mile from the ocean.
BTW, besides cost, 304 isn't the best choice for exhaust as it is prone to cracking, but headers do look nice in polished ss.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes I'm in the deep south myself, & my '08 HHR pipes still look like new.
I did paint the muffler with satin black BBQ paint to make it almost invisible from behind.

This was a popular mod back in the day.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tiapetra
I was responding to your first post above where you stated you had never heard of aluminizing stainless steel.
Sorry for you experiences with 409, but I've had the stellar results as everyone else I know. Work trucks as old as 1994 have yet to even have any surface rust on the 409 exhausts, but of course I am in the deep south and see no salt roads, just some salt air being less than a mile from the ocean.
BTW, besides cost, 304 isn't the best choice for exhaust as it is prone to cracking, but headers do look nice in polished ss.
My apologies. I was speaking to specifically exhaust components when referencing alumnizing. I bet there are 14 pages of the ALRO catalog full of it in sheets, tubing, piping, and stock.

As far as which stainless is best for corrosion resistance/longevity on an automotive application I suppose we aren't going to agree. I guess the ultra premium exhaust companies are making some mistakes by using the 304 or 316. Maybe they just haven't done their research because they sure aren't using it for polishing or because it's lighter. As for me I've never seen it crack unless it was wrapped in header wrap and fatigued or was welded with poor penetration. All of the process piping we spec in the factory is 304. It is constantly under the stress of vibrations that cars cannot produce and shaking and heating and cooling and so on. No cracks or issues there. We do lose gaskets though.

Also 409 is much cheaper than 304.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Yes I'm in the deep south myself, & my '08 HHR pipes still look like new.
I did paint the muffler with satin black BBQ paint to make it almost invisible from behind.

This was a popular mod back in the day.
I thought about doing that myself. It does sort of stand out from the back.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

I thought about doing that myself. It does sort of stand out from the back.
Yes it does stand out, & most modders here painted them. I painted mine back in about '09 or '10 & it's still holding up well.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 PM

My apologies. I was speaking to specifically exhaust components when referencing alumnizing. I bet there are 14 pages of the ALRO catalog full of it in sheets, tubing, piping, and stock.

As far as which stainless is best for corrosion resistance/longevity on an automotive application I suppose we aren't going to agree. I guess the ultra premium exhaust companies are making some mistakes by using the 304 or 316. Maybe they just haven't done their research because they sure aren't using it for polishing or because it's lighter. As for me I've never seen it crack unless it was wrapped in header wrap and fatigued or was welded with poor penetration. All of the process piping we spec in the factory is 304. It is constantly under the stress of vibrations that cars cannot produce and shaking and heating and cooling and so on. No cracks or issues there. We do lose gaskets though.

Also 409 is much cheaper than 304.

It's all good.
You can easily find plenty references to 304 headers cracking in a google search. And no, they don't all crack.
304 is more brittle and much less ductile than 400 series and suffers readily from work hardening (ie forming and flexing), gauge is an important factor.
As I said before 409 is plenty for me, I can weld, bend or form any of it, not a big deal. You can even polish 409 to a high degree for exhaust tips.
We are not new to ss, we work mostly on mega yachts and use polished 316L almost exclusively, but these people can well afford it.
Where utmost corrosion resistance is needed and appearance isn't a factor, they are now even switching to titanium.

I'm surprised you use so much 304, 420 and 440c ss is used a lot in food processing, but there are a lot of choices.