General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Key remote stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 AM

Exclamation Key remote stopped working

The past week I noticed that the key remote was a bit flaky. It seemed like I had to get close to the car for it to work so I figured it was time to replace the battery in it. Seemed strange as I only have had the car 9 months but who knows how old the battery is right?

Anyways, this morning when I went to lock the doors nothing happened at all, "Great", I says to myself, waited too long. So i open it up as sometimes the battery will get dirt on it and make bad contact. Well, I was half right, the metal battery holder has three pins that hold it to the circuit board. One of those pins had come out of it's soldered hole. So I pushed it back in and hit it with my soldering pencil for a few seconds, along with some fresh solder, and Volia! I can use it from the far end of our parking lot here at work, about 120'!

So just a heads up for you guys if yours stops working, could be a "cold" solder joint!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 AM

Same thing happened to my 06 HHR.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 AM

I had the same thing happen, except the three prong battery holder came completely off. Had to solder all three points. Now mine works like new again.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Mine has done that too

Mine has done that too. Funny story, this girl I know at work said her remote quit working and she could not get in her car she thought she was going to have to call her boyfriend to pick her up from work or a tow truck. I told her I have built race cars and know a little about cars. I thought that I could get her into her car. So I took her remote looked at it like I was doing something then told her. "There is a special way to get in the vehicle if the remote fails. Watch me closely to learn how" She said Ok. I told her "Take this remote right here, this is important to follow instructions closely, hold it like this then put the key in the lock and turn it this way"

My remote quit working, the solder broke on it and my Chevy dealer replaced it under warranty so I went ahead and bought a spare one at the same time.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
Mine has done that too. Funny story, this girl I know at work said her remote quit working and she could not get in her car she thought she was going to have to call her boyfriend to pick her up from work or a tow truck. I told her I have built race cars and know a little about cars. I thought that I could get her into her car. So I took her remote looked at it like I was doing something then told her. "There is a special way to get in the vehicle if the remote fails. Watch me closely to learn how" She said Ok. I told her "Take this remote right here, this is important to follow instructions closely, hold it like this then put the key in the lock and turn it this way"

My remote quit working, the solder broke on it and my Chevy dealer replaced it under warranty so I went ahead and bought a spare one at the same time.
I just have to ask.... was she blond?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM

I just have to ask.... was she blond?

"I just have to ask.... was she blond?"
Actually she is.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Hey Hey Hey I'm blond
Old 09-19-2008, 08:00 PM

Both of my remotes stopped working for this same reason this week took them to the dealer he replaced both under waranty. Whom ever they pay to do this job should be fired its ovious they don't know how to solder.