General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Keyless entry how do you program them, ive got a new remote and an old to 2006 hhr

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 03:38 PM

So are you saying you can get the Dorman programming module by itself? If so, I might be willing to do that, get a GM key fob, and program that one. Otherwise it just doesn't make a lot of sense to buy the Dorman programming module with a remote for $45, then go out and get another remote. Really, the Dorman kit doesn't sound like a bad deal. Not that Dorman remotes are as good as the OEM, but I think my previous one was a Dorman remote and it worked just fine, but it's good to know Ican add up to maybe three more fobs later on if I wanted to with the Dorman programming unit.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:28 PM

No, I'm saying the Dorman module will work for OEM fobs. My count is that gives you 2 fobs; 1 that works the way it should and 1 that unlocks the doors.

The modules have a limited number of times they can be used, so I would not buy a used one. The car has a limited number of slots for fobs, something like 4.

I'm sure an enterprising individual could find a source for the module on AliExpress. It is a generic kind of board.

Amazon seems to only have knock offs. Ebay has Genuine starting at around $15-$20. Be sure to look at the picture of the back of the fob, if it is blank it is a knock off; should have GM part number and FCC ID number. Some of the knock offs work well others don't, seems to be the bad ones have an LED on the board.

Main complaints are false low battery warnings, can't reset TPM positions, short range.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by everyothernameistaken
Not that Dorman remotes are as good as the OEM
A fob that works properly is better that OEM, which has a battery clip that falls off if you drop it, or maybe if you don’t.