General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Keys will not turn on ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Keys will not turn on ignition

Can someone out there tell me what happened to my hhr???
I just got it 2 week ago ( 2010 with 35k ) and i walked into the store and grab a pack of butts ,,,,it was 2:30 in the morning,,when i came out the key would not start the car !!! I mean not even turn at all like it was someone elses key
at this point i walked all the way home and pick up my 2th set of
keys,, figured it was the key being worn out !!!
After i walked back and tryed the 2th key that to would not turn as well !!
At this point i had no choice but to call for a tow truck ,,after a 2hr wait in the cold cos of no heat ( no start, no heat ) he then had to drag it up the ramp truck to take it to the dealer...
After shacking it loose to get it to slide off of the truck ( ouch )
the dealer informed me that they can not work on it till monday
and will have to drill out the ingnition
here it is sunday night,,,i just blow 10,000 dollars to buy this car
and i have been walking for 3 days,,,

i am so upset that it really bust my balloon ,,because i was happy
when i first got it,,,,now i feel no excitment for it
what happened to this car ????
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Deceased

OK BADBOY, I think you're having a problem with the ignition interlock and that is preventing the key from turning, I've put a link to a thread dealing with the issue at the bottom of this post. As far as the dealer having to "drill" the ignition, what a bunch of crap, even if the ignition cylinder is the problem(which I doubt)....you replace them, you don't drill them out, what a bunch of knuckle dragging Neanderthals.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...sion+interlock
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 AM

This has happend three times since I have my panel. Took it back to two different dealers. They said they fixed it. Not holding my breath.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Is this a problem that is confined to HHRs with automatic transmission? My 2007 LS with the Getrag 5 speed manual transmission has given me none of the problems most HHR owners gripe about. Had a defective plug in the wiring harness which got fixed at about 5000 miles and zero problems since then. Oh yeah - I had the seemingly obligatory brake pedal pulsation, which went away after I changed the pads and rotors.
I am completely satisfied with my HHR.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Deceased

If its the ignition interlock problem that I suspect, its confined to the automatic trans units only, one advantage to swapping cogs yourself if you can/want to.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. Went into the grocery store to get something. Came out and the key would not turn. Watched the tow truck guy drag the car up the ramp with the wheels locked.

No problems once I got the car back tho,but it was a damn painful sight. I had mine for a week when it happened =/
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 PM

ok the dealer called today at 4 pm and said my car is done,,,i asked what they had to do to it ,,,his answer was they changed the ignition,,,,
so tomorrow ( tuesday ) i am going to pick it up and check out everything before i drive it off the lot,,,,i will save my repair slip and if it happens again i will just take it back and tell them to fix it right
i believe you guy about the shifter control assembly but i'm going to give it a short and see what happens with this so called new ignition
i feel like i can not trust this car now ,,,,i would be worried to go on a long trip with it !!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by streetshaman
The exact same thing happened to me. Went into the grocery store to get something. Came out and the key would not turn. Watched the tow truck guy drag the car up the ramp with the wheels locked.

No problems once I got the car back tho,but it was a damn painful sight. I had mine for a week when it happened =/
streetshaman what did they have to do to your car ???
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

inside your automatic shifter is a small safety switch...check to see the spring is working properly..if the spring will not return the switch to the up position..keys are useless..ignition will not turn..after switchin out my shifter handle..mine stiks a bit..results are same as yours...I just give the shifter handle a giggle and it pops to where it suppose to..[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

if the spring is workin fine...check the plunger inside the shifter knob..easy to do after u remove it from its base..check to see it pushes down all the way and doesnt stick also..

Quick Reply: Keys will not turn on ignition