General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Knocking? from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 12:30 PM

Knocking? from engine bay

About a week ago she stalled while throwing a tc light and gave me a little trouble starting up. Up until that point the tc light came on from time to time and the car felt like it was in limp mode but went away pretty quickly. I figured it was just about time to replace the camshaft position sensor solenoids ( they seem to need to be replaced every couple years ) again so I had ordered a set. I like doing an oil change when I replace them and I'm a little overdue so perfect timing! I forgot to grab the oil for about a week then finally remembered. So I grabbed some two nights ago. Yesterday I was doing some suspension stuff for a friend and planned on doing my oil afterwards. We needed a hose clamp for an inner tie rod boot so we jumped in the hhr and ran to home depot. She stalled again and this time didn't wanna start. After about 5-10 mins of trying on and off she started. She also had a "knock" now unfortunately. Checked the oil at home and it was super low. No idea where the hell all my oil went because I never had an issue like that before with losing oil but anyway that's the deal. I gave her some oil last night and she sounds better today. A friend said it could be the timing chain cover but I'm thinking the motor is toast. If the chain cover is shot I will likely try the repair but if it's a rod or something then I might be saying bye to my hhr 😕. I got her with 24k miles about 11 years ago. She's had a few moments but for the most part she treated me pretty well! If this is the end then so be it. I want to thank everyone here that has helped and provided information over the years! Hopefully this post and video can help someone at some point if it doesn't help me at all! 🤷‍♀️

Old 12-19-2022, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Take the valve cover off and inspect the timing chain, seems to me the front guide has broken, do not try and start the engine again. replace the timing chain and balance shaft chain , this can be done with the engine in the engine compartment. An easy job to do.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/

Post what engine you have and I’ll tell you which kits to order
Old 12-19-2022, 02:13 PM

The biggest problem is the oil and the lack of frequent checks. If you run it low on oil it probably is toast. I suggest that you take better care of your next car. Oil does not transport to another dimension.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:27 PM

didnt see a filler neck or 710 cap ?
Old 12-19-2022, 04:20 PM

It could be related to the timing chain.

Typically, a rod knock doesn't affect engine starting. It just makes noise until it finally breaks.

The hard starting definitely could be a timing chain issue. The knocking noise could be the chain slapping the timing cover or hitting other parts.

As Oldblue said, DONT drive or try starting it. Remove the cam cover and check the chain.

Steve
Old 12-19-2022, 04:25 PM

A snap throttle of WOT for 2 seconds and you'll know if it's a rod.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
Or the timing components will break more and destroy the engine.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by greg8453

Please don’t even start the engine or try this snap throttle idea, cause Greg won’t be coming to your house to replace the engine or pay for the damage his suggestion will cause!
Old 12-29-2022, 02:42 PM

Oh?

Originally Posted by donbrew
The biggest problem is the oil and the lack of frequent checks. If you run it low on oil it probably is toast. I suggest that you take better care of your next car. Oil does not transport to another dimension.
​​​​​​Happy new year Don!
Old 12-29-2022, 02:43 PM

Finally got back to it...

Quick Reply: Knocking? from engine bay