General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

lack of dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM

I just set the cruise and cross my leg while driving. Sometimes that cause Dead Leg, but its still quite comfy when driving long distance.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 PM

I am a two-footed driver(L/F brake, R/F gas) in my A/T...comes from many years of drag racing.

The HHR doesnt have a dead pedal, but it does have a dead pedal "spot" built/molded in to the floor board...and I find it just fine. However, since I am 6' tall, and there is no telescoping steer column, I have to move close enough to reach the wheel that my legs are bent, and my right leg leans against the console, and my left foot is actually pretty comfy.

I found a dead pedal more usefull during agressive driving...especially hard right turns...
Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I am a two-footed driver(L/F brake, R/F gas) in my A/T...comes from many years of drag racing.

The HHR doesnt have a dead pedal, but it does have a dead pedal "spot" built/molded in to the floor board...and I find it just fine. However, since I am 6' tall, and there is no telescoping steer column, I have to move close enough to reach the wheel that my legs are bent, and my right leg leans against the console, and my left foot is actually pretty comfy.

I found a dead pedal more usefull during agressive driving...especially hard right turns...
Wow, after reading this thread Im wondering what the designers were thinking. Apparently the automatics (mine included) have a "dead pedal" shaped into the floorpan, while manuals have a piece of styrofoam glued under the carpet to make it useless?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 AM

Many add-on pedal sets have dead pedals. Here is one to consider: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOKYA...em180206996505
Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Mine has one, it is an automatic.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
I am a two-footed driver(L/F brake, R/F gas) in my A/T...:
Hi Smoke Wagon,
Your two foot item reminded my of a 1956 Dodge pushbutton automatic two door hardtop I had many years ago, not sure how old you are but those old Mopar automatics had a brake petal about two feet across and I had gotten into the habit of using two feet. I sold the Dodge and bought a brand new 1966 Mustang with three on the floor, no problem for a couple of weeks until one day in a hurry and daydreaming came flying up to a stop sign, left foot on the brake, and pushed in the clutch to sail through the intersection. Fortunately no one was coming, sure felt dumb. Old habits hard to break
Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Hi Smoke Wagon,Your two foot item reminded my of a 1956 Dodge pushbutton automatic
Wonder why they did away with that pushbutton system? No shifting lever sticking out or no lever on the floor waisting space. If the HHR had it, we would have more room for a better console or better cup holders.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Old Ray......

Wasn't the "street" language for that..."one, two punch". I remember that, I think, left side of the steering column on the dash.

Didn't they, or someone else, also have that in the center of the steering column where normally the horn button is position?? Believe they had a horn ring, located between the center area and the steering wheel.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Wonder why they did away with that pushbutton system?
Add me to that list!!! I've always wanted a pushbutton transmission... and wondered why they never made a comeback
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM

They had enough mechanical problems with the pushbutton transmissions that they earned a bad reputation early on. Thats ok, I prefer paddle shifters.

Quick Reply: lack of dead pedal