General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The lastest Motor Trend mag articles

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Anybody can look around and literally find volumes of materials that dispute global warming/climate change being the fault of greenhouse gasses.
Volumes of opinion.... you did not cite one scientific, peer-reviewed article.... nice try.

The sciencedaily.com article that you linked to try and dispute climate change ends with this:
“If carbon dioxide levels were the same today as they were in 2000, the global warming discussion would leave the front page. But to stabilize this greenhouse gas, we would have to cut way back on emissions,” Rowland said. “Methane is not as significant a greenhouse gas as carbon dioxide, but its effects are important. The world needs to work hard to reduce emissions of all greenhouse gases.”
Looks like you are making my case for me... :)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
When isn't the government involved in making cars? Seat belts? Air bags? There are tons of safety features and standards set by the government to make our cars a certain way....
Yes the goverment as a whole has regulations that effect all MFG.

The point is other than a one person was asked to leave and one was recomended that came on. The board that overseas GM has not told them one thing on product or how to do anything else. The only real directive given was to make a profit.

Anyone who takes all the information on what is really going on will see that the goverment to this point has really not been involved with GM and 99.9% of what they are and have been doing are things they have had planned and of their own choice.

The word was if the Goverment was to give GM money it would all be hybrid golf car like cars. Well it was nothing but a big internet lie.

Things are to the point that Lutz is bringing back the G8 as a Chevy soon with over 400 HP. Anyone here think that was a goverment decision? Work has already started on the C7 Vette and 6 Gen Camaro. THere are people already looking at a Cruze SS and Lutz stated even a Volt SS with higher performance electric motors could happen in a few years. Anyone ever see the acceleration of a high powered electric car. Full Torque from a dead stop is amazing.

Anyone who does not understand the green aspect of this just look at Audi, Ferrari, Benz and BMW who are all working on Hybrid sports cars. This way you can keep your 500 HP and still pass the CAFE standards.

Performance is not dead by a long shot with any company including GM. GM's building the best cars they have in 50 years right now and they will only get better once older models like the old Cobalt and Aveo etc get replaced.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
Volumes of opinion.... you did not cite one scientific, peer-reviewed article.... nice try.

The sciencedaily.com article that you linked to try and dispute climate change ends with this:

No one can prove Global warming. Climate changes are easy to prove in the short term but mean nothing on the long term since records are only a small part of the whole big picture.

The Global warming is like Politics Follow the Money. Often the money leads to the truth.

How many years ago did they tell us we were heading into an ice age?

People need to learn the truth and more info on people like Maurice Strong.

WWIII has already started and it is being fought with money not bombs. What better way to overtake the USA than to kill their economy. Just look for those in our own goverment who are wanting us to adopt the Euro way to our disadvantage.

All great countries and empires fall from with in and none are immune.

I am not a conspiracy guy in no way. But I listen to what many are saying and watch what they are doing and I just do not like what I hear.

All I can say is people in this country can't name the vice president so how hard would it be to con them with a big lie?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM

What better way to overtake the USA than to kill their economy.
THis really has nothing to do with America... other than you are the richest country on Earth and can actually lead in the technology. The country that led science to the moon (NASA, which, btw, confirms global warming with their own scientists) can lead the world in this issue too, if there is political will. And there can only be political will if the populace isn't suckered into believing that there is no problem by those who would benefit from the status quo.

Reducing emissions does not equate to ruining the economy. THat's the big fallacy that people are being scared with.

Take a look at countries that are leading the way in this.... their economies aren't getting worse because of it, but better.

All I can say is people in this country can't name the vice president so how hard would it be to con them with a big lie?
This really does sound like the 9-11 "truthers", tin-foil on head type of stuff that you are saying. The fact that most people are not knowledgeable to name the VP does not mean that there is a mass conspiracy.

Like I said in my previous post... READ the science.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

THis really has nothing to do with America... other than you are the richest country on Earth and can actually lead in the technology.

Have you seen out debt? You might want to check Chinas accounts I think you might be suprised.

The country that led science to the moon (NASA, which, btw, confirms global warming with their own scientists)

And I can counter every NASA rep that claims warming with a NASA Rep that does not accept it. Draw

Reducing emissions does not equate to ruining the economy. THat's the big fallacy that people are being scared with.

So if we forgo our industry what are we to export. We can't export our technology as the Chinese aleady steal it. You seen the new Russian F22 Raptor they showed this week? If we give in to this we will be going the path England did when they lost their industrial base. We need jobs here and we only can mow so much grass and we can't export that either.

Take a look at countries that are leading the way in this.... their economies aren't getting worse because of it, but better.

Yes I can see what you mean how well the the world economy is riight now. Is your unemployment under 10%? India and China are the fastest growers and do not want any treaty.

The fact that most people are not knowledgeable to name the VP does not mean that there is a mass conspiracy.

May not but is sure easier to fool a uninformed public than a well informed one. You know if they fudge the numbers no one will know unless someone sees the e mail. But that would never happen.
It's kind of funny how I see it the Truthers to me are like the global warming people. A lot of claims but can not prove anything beyond a theory.

Like I said in my previous post... READ the science.
Which Science? The one they are fudging the numbers on in England because there own work does not prove their case?

The bottom line is neither side can prove beyond a doubt that this is real or not. From what I have seen I feel it is more likely not true and will fall by the way side with many other theories in time. People today need to be better informed and know their history to better understand what is really going on.

Too many are too worried who is going to win American Idol than what is going on in the world.

I am affraid with the way things are going we are in for many big changes in our country and many are not going to be good.

Thanks for the civil debate. I know that this is not the best place for it but both sides should be heard and I hope it has helped someone.

Lets get back to GM and cars.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Nor have you sir. Nice try

You have no case to make. Only an opinion to state.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM

om what I have seen I feel it is more likely not true and will fall by the way side with many other theories in time.
You are being informed by your feelings on "it will hurt the economy" and "what are we going to export" rather than the conclusions drawn by science. It is very evident that you do not look at scientific publications, but do read the paper, watch the news, etc.

News is great at opinions and snippets of facts. In fact, they give equal treatment to naysayers with no scientific backgrounds as they do to what is being studied by scientists and published in scientific journals. Within the scientific field that I work in (not climatology, but biology, which is obviously affected greatly by climate change) there is no longer a question about ecosystems changing due to climate change... just how much they will change in coming years... what will be affected and how. Pine beetle ravaging our forest industry in BC is all about climate change. Even our right-wing gov't has had to acknowledge as much due to the overwhelming evidence.

Huge swaths of once-productive pine forest now completely dead tend to make people pay attention to what is going on.

Read and learn the science....
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by irloyal
Nor have you sir. Nice try

You have no case to make. Only an opinion to state.
oh please.... do a google scholar for climate change and you will find as many articles as you can read with all the facts.

Start with this one:
http://livinggreenbarrie.com/LvGnGlblWarmgIPCCRpt.pdf

Read the science....
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Go a little deeper into the facts , And see that the earth goes threw cycles, This is simply a warming cycle. You should start worrying when it goes to a cooling cycle, Thats when the _hit will hit the fan. I live in chicago, And welcome global warming !
Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Thanks for the civil debate.
I like that idea and so far so good. Let's all try and keep the theory of being civil in our posts. My post #36 was meant to lighten up the conversation as well as to let everyone know that this thread is being watched closely.

Quick Reply: The lastest Motor Trend mag articles