General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The lastest Motor Trend mag articles

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM

For those who wish to investigate some thought proviking alternatives try this:
http://www.americanthinker.com/marc_sheppard/

Several articles, well documented and researched presenting alternatives to the debate being concluded. I recommend reading the very first article. It is reasonably short, and provides a quick historical perspective on how "Climate Change" has been part of the elitist, progressive agenda for years, with conveniently omitted facts, twisted logic, and violation of the "Peer Review" rules supposedly so rigorously adhered to by scientists.

FWIW I'm certain that there has indeed been an impact on the climate by mankinds activities. However, even as was pointed out in this publication:

http://livinggreenbarrie.com/LvGnGlblWarmgIPCCRpt.pdf

There is significant natural variation in the "CLIMATE" of our planet.

Man has only been able to collect "sound verifiable data" for less than 300 years on temperatures. Anything before that is anecdotal, or estimates based on things like ice cores, tree rings, and other ex-post-facto evidence, and is subject to the bias of those who interpret the evidence.

As Don Henly Says, There's three sides to every story, yours; mine; and the cold hard truth. Well the cold hard truth is still out there.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by irloyal
As Don Henly Says, There's three sides to every story, yours; mine; and the cold hard truth. Well the cold hard truth is still out there.
Nice!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Who told you all about these natural cycles that the Earth goes through? Oh right... climatologists.

Why do you believe them in that instance?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
No it was the cows and their gas. There are some [not all] who now want to ban meat production.
Hey, let's not ban my steaks! That's gettin personal, Chevymgr, I think we need to ban this thread now

If you really want to cut down on greenhouse gases, ban the volcanoes!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Yes, the scientists do know that the Earth's climate changes naturally. This isn't news to anyone, nor is it evidence that CO2 emissions aren't to blame.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...arm-period.htm

CO2 has caused an accumulation of heat in our climate. The radiative forcing from CO2 is known with high understanding and confirmed by empirical observations. The climate response to this heat build-up is determined by climate sensitivity.

Ironically, when skeptics cite past climate change, they're in fact invoking evidence for strong climate sensitivity and net positive feedback. Higher climate sensitivity means a larger climate response to CO2 forcing. Past climate change actually provides evidence that humans can affect climate now.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
...snip
If you really want to cut down on greenhouse gases, ban the volcanoes!
True Dat. Mt. Pinatubo appeared to change the earths climate as global temperatures dropped almost 1/2 degree in the two years following the eruption. 'Course that could be part of the natural variation too.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM

I’d just like to say that we should be for cleaner burning autos no matter where you stand politically or whether you believe global warming is happening or not.

If you’re not for doing better, I fear that selfishness will lead to other detrimental decisions for our descendants.

Forget the science, I exercise frequently. There is a freeway a half mile form one of my sites I walk 5 miles - during rush hour it is absolutely SICKENING with exhaust. Seriously, it is not healthy. You can argue ‘till your blue in the face but what comes out of cars is poison!

I’m a hard core car lover, and when I’m done with school I want a Corvette. But I want the cleanest, fastest Corvette GM can make.

"The public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties." - James Madison 1788
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by chevyorange
I’d just like to say that we should be for cleaner burning autos no matter where you stand politically or whether you believe global warming is happening or not.

If you’re not for doing better, I fear that selfishness will lead to other detrimental decisions for our descendants.

Forget the science, I exercise frequently. There is a freeway a half mile form one of my sites I walk 5 miles - during rush hour it is absolutely SICKENING with exhaust. Seriously, it is not healthy. You can argue ‘till your blue in the face but what comes out of cars is poison!

I’m a hard core car lover, and when I’m done with school I want a Corvette. But I want the cleanest, fastest Corvette GM can make.

"The public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties." - James Madison 1788
Good Point Orange. IMHO the automobile industry has done a very good job of reducing pollutants over tha past 30 years, and in the process have increased fuel economyu and horsepower.

Example:
A 1972 350 Malibu SS produced about 300 HP when fully dressed, and attained about 10 mpg. FFWD to 2000 and the Corvette was producing 350 HP and getting 20 mpg. FFWD to 2008 and we have a 290 HP 4 cylinder HHR SS that gets 25 MPG !!!!

Look at diesel technology. We have little 4 cylinder turbodiesels that produce 200 HP, and attain 35 mpg, with virtually no particulates.

And it keeps getting better. Sure the price has gone up some, but with reduced emissions; improved mileage; better comfort and significantly improved reliability and longevity automobiles have improved dramatically.

I can't wait to see what the companies that are allowed to work on muscle cars will have for us in 2020.