General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Leaking fuel line just ahead of gas tank. Is this common on HHRs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 11:26 AM

Leaking fuel line just ahead of gas tank. Is this common on HHRs?

My '08 HHR SS just developed a fuel leak (constant drip) from a fuel line just a foot or so forward of the gas tank on the driver's side. Has this happened to other HHR owners? Is it common or just my unique bad luck?

Fortunately, I noticed it not long after it started and am now catching the leaked fuel in a clean jar so not much went into the environment but still it is not a good development. Getting it into a shop today.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Common..............Yes.
You've been a member here since 2014. Seems like you would have seen one of the many threads that discuss this issue. And, I think there is even a "Sticky" on file that shows how to repair it.
I'm sure some of those members who have dealt with this problem will be here shortly to tell you about it.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:05 PM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...follies-62310/
Old 03-24-2022, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks FMG and Donbrew. It’s not a bad job, a little messy, but doable.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:10 PM

FiremanGeorge, sorry I missed those old threads. I was in a bit of a hurry and only did one search which didn't return anything very relevant to my question so I just quickly posted without doing additional searches that I probably should've done.

At any rate, I was quoted a horrendous price for a set of new fuel lines from GM so I've ordered that set of nylon replacement lines OldBlue recommended in that other thread that Donbrew pointed me to (thanks for that, DonBrew). That kit's going to save me hundreds of dollars. The car is back home now sitting out front with a jar under it. It stops leaking just a few minutes after the engine is turned off and the pressure is bled from the line so it's not a big deal. The car is going to sit for the next couple of weeks while I wait for the eBay kit to be delivered. I'll be driving my '02 4Runner everywhere in the meantime.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Atta boy, fix it yourself! Get a fuel fitting release tool , for the engine end of the pressure line.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:10 PM

I now have my nylon replacement fuel line kit in hand. Not sure if I want to try tackling the replacement myself or bite the bullet and take it to a shop to get the work done. Does this job require dropping the fuel tank? I read the sticky and it seems like it does but I just want to make sure. How many hours would be reasonable for a shop to charge for doing this job? My car is an '08 SS if that makes a difference.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Administrator

I wrote the sticky, no you don’t drop the fuel tank

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...follies-62310/
Old 04-08-2022, 08:46 PM

Just fixed mine last week with the fuel line kit and got the fuel line release tool. My line was rusted by the tank release so I was not able to reuse the disconnect at the tank. The kit came with one and it was a bit difficult to get it in place, there is quite a bit of room under there by the tank. I didn't have any problem getting my big mitts in there. i used a floor jack and jackstands, raised it high enough to get under there and got it done fairly quickly.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DangerBoy
My '08 HHR SS just developed a fuel leak (constant drip) from a fuel line just a foot or so forward of the gas tank on the driver's side. Has this happened to other HHR owners? Is it common or just my unique bad luck?

Fortunately, I noticed it not long after it started and am now catching the leaked fuel in a clean jar so not much went into the environment but still it is not a good development. Getting it into a shop today.
WELCOME to the Fuel Line Leak Club.
Did mine on my 2011 last year and my sons 2011 2 years ago

Quick Reply: Leaking fuel line just ahead of gas tank. Is this common on HHRs?