General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

LED/Hyperflash

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM

LED/Hyperflash

Little while back I noticed one of my fornt marker lights was out. So I started collecting LED's to replace all my exterior. I picked up a set of 4 LED 194's (amber and red) for the side markers, and a pair of single LED white 194's for the tag lights. I put those in last weekend. On regreat is I wish I had of went with the 4 LED for the tag lights so they would be a little brighter. But maybe later.

I also picked up a pair of 24 amber LED bulbs for the front turn/parking/DRL bulbs. I'm wondering if I will have any issues with hyperflash. Has anyone already swapped theirs out and did you have any problems? I'm figuring at 4 years old, bulbs are going to start going randomly, might as well replace with what I want right.....

Also, from wiring in my recon's, anyone good suggestions for swapping these bulbs? As those that have know, it's a PITA to get in there....
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM

I did the race and street deal from maggie in the back first and had no problem.... when I did the front it went to a fast blink, installed some 27 watt rated shunts and it went back to normal..... did the 4 in the top rear glass and lost cruise control....no biggy for me....SS in not quite 2 years old and has only 11,600 some odd miles on her so the lost didn't matter cause I don't drive her a lot. Do a search on gettin' at the front, it's breezy easy.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 AM

I did the fronts over the weekend, no hyperflash. Everything works as it should.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM

She will go hyper when and if you do the rear. Been there, done that.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by stranger
She will go hyper when and if you do the rear. Been there, done that.

I've had the LED tails for almost 2 years now.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Well....pilgrim....if I'm readin' what you're sayin and understandin' all this.....ya got led bulbs in all four corners and the flash rate is the same?......makes me think my car needs to be sent back to the dealer and made right...... sumthin's wrong with it. And to think mine was flashin' faster than it use to and I went to all that trouble to make it act normal.
(scratchin' head)....you got a lot of that resistance thing in your four corners?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Lights are loaded
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Lights are loaded
Is this something that the aftermarket suppliers have added? (shunts?)
I thought that the set up from Maggie was "compensated" cause the flash rate was the same after doing the change out.
When I added bulbs to the front corners the rate increased roughly to twice as fast as the orginal rate. Hyper....not sure how fast "hyper" is but fast enough to be "reasonable cause"....if you know what I meaning.
And would these "loaded" bulbs correct my lost cruise control?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Loaded lights are made so no external compensators are needed.....dont know why it would affect you CC..may be coincedental
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM

"Compensated"..... for the lack of resistance, as in an internal shunt?
To my understanding of the bcm it needs to "see", measure, or whatever an engineer would label it, resistance to trip the off/ on of the circuit. LED bulb = very low resistance = faster flash.
My line of thought was if the cruise control doesn't see (or whatever they are calling it )resistance in the high mount stop lite the circuit isn't energized/ no worky!
Built in led resistance would seem to be the answer but wouldn't that defeat the whole ideal of led bulbs except for the "cool factor", which isn't why I did it. I did the mod hoping to cut down on battery discharge rate.