General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

LED light under rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:13 AM

LED light under rearview mirror

Does anyone find the small LED blue light (near rearview mirror) which illuminates the interior during dusk/dark hours bothersome? We really enjoyed it at first, but I am finding at times the light is distracting. Would love to have the option to turn on or off.

Can this be turned off by removing a fuse?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 AM

replace it with a color LED 5mm from Radio Shack, or pull off the cap and pull out the LED that's there.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks, we'll try that - red would be cool to match our red beauty! Does the cap snap on and off?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM

"All you have to do is pull down on the little cover in the roof and it will pop off. You will see the little LED holder. Pop it out and the factory white LED is in a little socket. Just pull the factory LED out of the socket, trim the new LEDs leads to match the length of the factory LED, and plug your new LED in the socket. It takes about two minutes."--quote fron captain howdy
Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by sjssk
"All you have to do is pull down on the little cover in the roof and it will pop off. You will see the little LED holder. Pop it out and the factory white LED is in a little socket. Just pull the factory LED out of the socket, trim the new LEDs leads to match the length of the factory LED, and plug your new LED in the socket. It takes about two minutes."--quote fron captain howdy
That only applies IF you have a sunroof. If you don't have a sunroof you have to access the bulb from the top, which means dropping the headliner in the front. Also the red LED isn't very bright. I tried red first and was very disappointed in the results. Went to a high intensity blue LED and it works great. The bulb can be found at Radio Shack and is part number 276-316. It is a 5MM, 3.7 volt.

Here is the entire thread
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...highlight=blue

And here is my how-to
Since you don't have a sunroof you have to access the bulb from the top of the headliner, which involves removing the A pillars and visors, and pulling GENTLY down on the headliner. You have to be very careful as the foam board behind the headliner will break. Just pull it down far enough to get your hand back there. The wire harness is glued to the top of the headliner board also, and I had to remove it to access the bulb. Once you get your hand back there you will feel a stiff wire, just feel for the tip and pull it back towards the front of the car, and the bulb pops right out. You will have to trim the new bulbs wires, just trim to match the length of the old bulb. Make sure you put the new bulb in the right way. If it's backwards it won't work, and could pop. Good luck and just be careful. It's not a tough job, but you have to take your time. Hope it helps.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by HHRDreaming
Does anyone find the small LED blue light (near rearview mirror) which illuminates the interior during dusk/dark hours bothersome?
I hardly notice it any more.

-JJ
Old 07-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by JJ_HHR
I hardly notice it any more.

-JJ
I don't drive Wheelie at night, so it doesn't bother me..HEEHEE!, But there are times where I take Wheelie and my family out to eat in the evening, and the little light doesn't bother me..It's just 1 of Wheelie's little traits..heehee. =)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by sjssk
replace it with a color LED 5mm from Radio Shack, or pull off the cap and pull out the LED that's there.
Replaced mine w/ blue LED.

Thanks CH!!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jx3
Replaced mine w/ blue LED.

Thanks CH!!
Wait until you see my next LED project.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:30 AM

it don't bother me, i LOVE this little blue light during night driving