General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Left my sunroof open in a thunderstorm....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM

Left my sunroof open in a thunderstorm....

Aghh. Last night I vented my sunroof because it was really hot and humid inside the car, and 53 degrees outside. Well, it rained literally all night last night (in fact it's been over 24 hours of rain here) and when I walked out to my car this morning I discovered that I stupidly left my sunroof vented. I'm so ashamed.

The damage report is really not much so far. I got some towels and was trying to soak up the water in the seats, and they really dried up fairly well. They are not dry right now, but they don't feel wet. If it would ever stop raining I would open the windows to help them dry out.

Is there anything I should do in the mean time to make sure the seats don't get mildew in them or something? Really they seem pretty dry, so I'm not too terribly worried right now, but I don't want to end up with some bad seats in a few weeks, you know?

I will wear the dunce cap for this week.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 PM

I'm gonna say I would probably run the car with the AC on high for about half an hour. That should, theoretically, pull alot of the moisture out of the air inside and help dry.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM

And you just got that as a grad gift. I say 40 lashes and you stand in front of Miles Chevy with a sign that says you mistreated your HHR
Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
And you just got that as a grad gift. I say 40 lashes and you stand in front of Miles Chevy with a sign that says you mistreated your HHR

Just make sure that if you leave you windows open to help it dry out.......you shut them!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM

I would try to find something like this to put in the car since it sounds like you have nowhere to get the car inside to let dry.http://www.organizedliving.com/produ...do?code=NEXTAG
Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Founding Member

Mmm Bummer. I would start with a wet vac to suck out as much water as possible even though you towel dryed them. If you don't have one go to a local car wash and use their heavy duty vacumms. If the carpet got really soaked, the pad under the carpet will need to dry. To seperate the carpet from the padding you have to pull the sill plates and some of the trim to get to it. Then aim a fan inside the vehicle to dry out the pad. If a mildew smell persists you may need to put down new padding. If you are going to try the A/C method of pulling the moisture out I would suggest running it on recirculate to pull the air from the interior of the vehicle.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Hair dryer time !!!! Borrow the old man's garage for a couple of days
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM

You should be sentenced to drive a Ford for a week.....
Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM

To clarify here, I did not leave the moonroof open, I left the sunroof cracked. If that makes sense. Just in the back.

So really, not all that much water got in. The floors are completely dry. I've got my car running right now with the air on as was suggested above. I don't know if wetvaccing it will do anything, but I have one, so I could do that if it ever stops raining.

I know I should be punished. Shame on me.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM

Check to see if any water got inbetween the roof and the headliner. That needs to be dried. And, if during the summer you start to smell an unpleasant odor from the ceiling...well...you will know what it came from.

Also, check for dampness towards the front of the sunroof where it sits when the sunroof is closed. Make sure water didn't seep down in the runner there. That can cause problems later on.

Lastly, write yourself a note, put it on the steering wheel...the note should read..."Shut the Sunroof you dummy!"

Quick Reply: Left my sunroof open in a thunderstorm....