General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Left my sunroof open in a thunderstorm....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
I'm gonna say I would probably run the car with the AC on high for about half an hour. That should, theoretically, pull alot of the moisture out of the air inside and help dry.
IM sorry, first of me hearing that. Everytime someone at my dealer left anything opened and it raineda floor machine was used to suck any water from the floor and all windows put up, then the heat was ran at FULL BLAST for several hours (probably like 4-5 at the most).

*Note to self: Make sure there is alot of gas*
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Some people on here have removed seat covers, Im not sure how much work is involved, but then you could take them in the house to dry.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by prod
Some people on here have removed seat covers, Im not sure how much work is involved, but then you could take them in the house to dry.

Be REAL careful if you use the cloths drier. That could shrink the seat covers.

I would go to my friendly Home Depot and rent an INDUSTRIAL WET/DRY VAC. They are much more powerful than the home version (ahh, spoken from almost the same experience).

I removed about 2-3 inches of water from the front floor of an El Camino that had a leak in the bed area. Vehicle was parked "backwards" UP A DRIVEWAY that had a severe grade. Rain poured off the roof into the bed and leaked into the passenger compartment. Took about a day and a half of continual vacumning to dry it out.....with no problems.

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM

you can go to home depot/lowes and buy these:

you buy the black plastic pots....and the silica pellet packets are sold seperately, but you get q packet per pod.

I have used them for years to keep moisture out of cars stored under a car cover over the winter.

They run about $5.50 each, and the extra packets are about $5.00 each

ask for it by name

dri z air

you take the pin out of the top, and the top half of the suspensded black perforated "pod". You pour in the packet of white silica pellets, and replace the top half of the pod, and re-pin it.

set one one each floorboard. They absorb the moisture briliantly, and the water collects in the bucket underneath. Just go out once every few hours and drain the buckets.

they are small...the circumfrence of the bucket is about the size of a regular CD/DVD

it'll be dry in 1-2 days. I would suggest buying 3-5 extra packets of pellets...and just set one in the car any time you are expecting damp weather/high humidity...it'll help prevent any worry of mildew/mold
Old 02-06-2008, 11:03 AM

Alright, so new plan is to take The Chief out to my parents house and get it in the garage over night. I'm going to get three fans in there and keep all the doors and windows open. Going to leave it like that for min. 12 hours. Hopefully that'll take care of the issue before it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions, I make look into getting a de-humidifier if I experience any problems down the line. It continues to rain/snow here, so there isn't much else I can do at the moment.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Hope you have some heat in the garage this weekend or you are looking at ice cubes. I'm east of you in Oh and on Sun it is only to go to 18* so that cold will hit you sooner. Big change from that 50+ the other day
Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM

still not sure why you wont go buy the product I linked above.
it is DESIGNED for your exact purpose. They were designed to remove moisture from leaky motor homes/RV's and boats...

$20, and you wont need to take the car anywhere.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM

Actually, I'm already planning on picking up one to try tonight. I'm still giong to get fans and leave it in the garage though. And our garage stays relatively warm, at least 40+. It's attached to house and has a vent from the furnace in there.

But yes, I will put in a de-humidifier with the fans. Take no chances :)
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM

the dry-z-air work better in a sealed environment....but give them a shot...like I said...for a small price, you;ll be rewarded.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Good news. Left it over night in my parents garage with a space heater and three addition fans. It seems completely dry now. I went to Lowe's today to find Dri-z-air but all they had was a plastic bucket thing called DampRid.

I've got that sitting out in my car, so I'll leave it overnight and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Looks like The Chief is going to be just fine.