General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Lights too Bright?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Madmatt....

And how did you check the headlight projection???
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Madmatt6988

I'm not stupid, first thing I checked was my headlight projection. Doesn't seem bad to me.
Geesh, can't even give a guy some imput (with a little humor) without feathers getting ruffled ! If you have definite lows and highs and they seem to have a good lighting pattern both most likely need to be adjusted down ! Do not use the old standard garage as a judge for a lighting pattern as our Halogens gave feedback that all was ok (ours appeard level until we were on the road at night and one was definitely higher) ! Remember what doesn't seem bad to you is affecting oncoming drivers, apparently !!!!!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Mrs. DLVRNIT, he was probably aiming that at me - however, you raise some good points in your response.

Since he checked the "headlight projection", and it doesn't look bad to him, as his car is a 2010, perhaps he should take it to the dealer and explain the situation about people frequently flashing him, and see what they can suggest. :)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

OK, I admit I used the garage door test and made sure they were pointed slightly down and right of the center on low beams, and they were. Not by much, maybe 2-4 inches down and right. I didn't adjust them any from this. So what's your suggestions now? Didn't mean to sound like I was agitated in that last post. One of the problems with text, you can't read peoples tone. My bad.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Your Owners Manual gives a really good explanantion of how to check the headlight alignment and do the adjustment. I believe it's in section 5.

Oh, don't skip any steps....especially the measurement.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 PM

We didn't even know of the how to section in the manual other than how to adjust! It's been awhile since we did this but find a flat stretch of road and view from behind the steering wheel how the pattern is at night! The driverside light we pointed straight ahead and passenger side very slightly towards the right! If that looks good we then worked on the up and down adjustment! We let the lights shine about 100' out and adjusted accordingly! One of our lights was maxed out for low shine and we just adjusted the high one to match! Since we did this at night we would reccomend a flashlight to help see under the hood while making adjustments!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

Is there an extra 400 or 500 lbs in the trunk that might be affecting the angle of your trajectory
Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

You could always add a set of eye-lids. that cuts down the too high lighting also.
But best to just do it as recommended in the owners manual (as Snoopy stated)...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Buy HID's then they'll learn what bright means lol
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sn00p
Buy HID's then they'll learn what bright means lol
You know, I really don't understand where people get this idea. HID's, when authentic and mounted correctly DO NOT cause the bright glare that you refer to.....reference the real lights on some GM products, BMW's, MB, etc. However, when people install, "want-a-be's"...excessive wattage imitations...that does present a problem. Another problem....not adjusting correctly.

I have 2 vehicles with the real HID's...my family has another 2 products and we get no aggravation from opposing drivers. JMO

Quick Reply: Lights too Bright?