General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Lights too Bright?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
You know, I really don't understand where people get this idea. HID's, when authentic and mounted correctly DO NOT cause the bright glare that you refer to.....reference the real lights on some GM products, BMW's, MB, etc. However, when people install, "want-a-be's"...excessive wattage imitations...that does present a problem. Another problem....not adjusting correctly.

I have 2 vehicles with the real HID's...my family has another 2 products and we get no aggravation from opposing drivers. JMO
True - true!!! The KEY POINT BEING - when PROPERLY adjusted.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 PM

You know it's funny. I see posts all the time talking about a side to side adjustment for their HHR headlights. I'd like to know exactly how that is done. I can't even find any kind of adjustment for side to side on mine and my owners manual actually says there isn't one. Maybe newer vehicles have it? It does tell you exactly how to do the up and down adjustment though. And after I did that and dropped mine about 1/2 turn I don't get any more headlights flashed at me.

As far as HID goes, from what I can tell it's all in the reflector. Most who just want to look cool in their minds will not spend the money for the proper reflectors. It's kind of hard to blame them when the HID bulbs and ballasts cost them over $1000, but blinding oncoming drivers isn't cool and when they collide with you because of that chances are very good it will be proven that is why and then your estate is sol. Factory HID lights never bother me, many aftermarket ones do. And it's all about looks to the vast majority, they're so insecure that is all they care about. I always have a good laugh when I see someone who is so cheap they simply get blue tinted light bulbs, and then just have blue tinted light and actually can't see as well.

The sheeple never fail to give me a good laugh. I very much prefer being different from everyone else.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 AM

Holy crap. I drive home from work at dark every day. I get bright lighted at least once or twice each night. I thought I was going nuts!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM

I've noticed the same issue in the past but that was when towing a sizable load and the back end was weighted down. If it does happen though I just do what someone else said they do, show 'em the actual high beams which will hopefully make them feel stupid.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM

Every once in a while I will get brighted, seems more so here recently since it has snowed.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by HHoRange07

I've noticed the same issue in the past but that was when towing a sizable load and the back end was weighted down. If it does happen though I just do what someone else said they do, show 'em the actual high beams which will hopefully make them feel stupid.
Oh yeah, we feel really stupid letting you know your low beams are blinding and might need a proper adjustment, !

Happy Holidays ,
Old 12-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sn00p
Buy HID's then they'll learn what bright means lol
I used Aircraft landing lights on my Chevelle in the high beams. You could feel the heat 15 feet away on a cool night.

Can't say I ever got flashed in the HHR. But then again mine are not set at the factory spec.

If anything I wish they were brighter for out in the country.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 PM

I had that problem at first, but not much lately.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
Oh yeah, we feel really stupid letting you know your low beams are blinding and might need a proper adjustment, !

Happy Holidays ,
My lights haven't been touched since I've had the car and as far as I know they're adjusted perfectly. In fact, I love how the light just stops with this well defined straight line when you're parked in front of your garage door or a building or something. I usually see that kind of precision only out of high end cars so it's nice to have it as well since I can't afford a high end car.

Hey, where in NorCal are you? I'm in Pittsburg.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM

They can be off a mm too high and they blind oncoming traffic, modern lights have a sharp cutoff edge to the beam and they don't have tro be off much to really change what the oncoming car sees. I got flashed a lot at first, checked mine and they were off a minute amount, adjusted them and the flashing stopped immediately. But as soon as I get people in the back seat, it's flash city all over again, so I gave up.