General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A Little Gunk in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:03 PM

A Little Gunk in Oil

2011 LS automatic, 70K miles or so. Wife drives it to work one miles plus frequent short hops during the day, never fully warming up. Some weeks, the car will get a 75 mile round trip. Or two. The car is well maintained and runs well.

I had the car for a day and the temp gauge seemed to bounce around slightly so I checked the coolant and it was down. It took well over a quart to bring the tank up, so I opened the pressure cap and the hose was only half full. The cap came off hard so I wondered if it was seated correctly and sure enough there was staining evidence of slight leakage. I poured in more coolant, squeezed the hose a few times and it took maybe a pint. Put the cap back, taking care not to cross up the crappy tight threads. It closed a few degrees farther that it was when I took it off, I think. Took it for a ride, couple miles at freeway speed, temp gauge more stable.

Was still worried about where that coolant went so after it cools down I pulled the oil dipstick. It’s about 1/2 way through the oil life but the full synth Dexos looked pretty clear, But slightly over full. No shock, I didn’t do the oil change and I’m pretty sure they just dump the whole 5-quart jug in.

But wait, what’s this? A tiny pinhead size blob of tan emulsion on the tip of the stick. Yikes!

I wiped it off and dipped again. Clean. Huh.

Take the car for a spin again. Dipstick clean.

I parked it for a couple of days. New pinhead blob of emulsion appear appeared. Wiped it off, quick drive to full temp, dipstick clean.

It’s now parked until I decide what’s next. Will change the oil and look carefully at what comes out of the crankcase and the oil filter.

Could this just be a little condensation in the crankcase from all the short hops?

Thoughts?

Last edited by PulpFriction; 04-06-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 PM

I would say it's condensation... Keep an eye on it though.

Pop off the oil filler neck and look into the valvetrain area with a flashlight... What's it look like?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Watch the level on the anti-freeze also.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Check the tube that the dipstick sits it - there may be a little condensation there much like what Greybeard999 says. The condensation will be a chocolate milk looking buildup - also on the bottom of the valve cover cap.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 PM

If I had this issue here in California, I'd be a little concerned. Your location, coupled with the very short drive time, with not usually getting to normal operating temperature, most likely condensation.

Hi Tom, good to have you back!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:08 PM
Administrator

I think it’s safe to say the rad cap was in fact loose, explaining the loss of coolant, and short drives, in your location, this time of year, condensation will show up. I also suggest you inspect the hose from the valve cover to the elbow at the throttle body, and the throttle body for oil residue, clean the throttle body.
And yes, welcome back whopper, great to see your input.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:44 PM

Get a new pressure cap.

Do you mean the tank kept needing more; it holds about a quart? It should be filled to the "bump" at the lower end, overfilling will cause problems, it should rise after driving and fall back down after cooling.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46 AM

Have the oil tested.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:30 AM

The tan emulsion I mentioned, AKA “chocolate milk,” doesn’t show up in the overflow tank or inside the pressure cap.

Is there some product that will expedite the dispersion of the emulsion throughout the oil rather than have it stick to stuff and gum things up? (That won’t do more harm than good?) I thought that’s what detergent oil was supposed to do

The tank is at the correct level. Will look for evidence of leaks and releases at the pressure cap, then replace regardless.

oh, yeah, and the idea of getting oil tested is new to me. Just google it? Or are there good and bad options?

I really appreciate the level of experienced advice here, even for this trivial issue. Panic averted, for now. Will be following all the hints and relaxing a bit. Thank you, everyone.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 PM

But wait, what’s this? A tiny pinhead size blob of tan emulsion on the tip of the stick. Yikes!
Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If said blob is your only symptom. (assume you fill all levels and no fluid loss under normal condition driving)
Could be condensation in the dipstick your picking up when pulling it to check?

The oil analysis is running tests on a sample to see if there is detectable levels of what your concerned with.
In your case coolant. Other tests for example, could be for metal content indicating worn engine bearings.

Quick Reply: A Little Gunk in Oil