General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Locking Fuel Cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Locking Fuel Cap

Has anyone installed a locking fuel cap that fits properly on their HHR?

I purchased a Stant Part Number 10511. The problem is major interference between the top of the fuel cap and the fuel door itself.

The fuel door doesn't close far enough to allow the the "push to release" feature to function properly.

Your comments are appreciated...........

HHRANDY
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 PM

I dont understand why GM did not use a door with an inside release
But I would get a locking cap if one was available. Living in NYC, I dont like leaving it open to all. So I will be following this thread in hopes of finding one, also.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM

I hear where you guys are coming from. Another silly thing overlooked by GM...but I guess all these little things add up and make a car cost more.

Anyway...went to eBay and found this. Sounds like if you buy it from his "store" shipping is free...and if you don't like it and want to send it back...100% guarantee.

We should probably put Mike from SoCalHHR's and/or CJ on the hunt. Another item that would sell great...maybe Mike might even carry them. Hey Mike...is this possible?
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Founding Member

AutoZone has a few models.... go try them out. If they don't fit, just return them.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:37 PM

I bought the Stant 10511 but don't have the HHR yet to try it...tomorrow.

The Gates 31844 is also supposed to fit.

NAPA has a store brand one in the US that is supposed to fit but it is manufactured by Stant as I understand. In Canada it seems Gates supplies the NAPA brand one according to the store in my area but they had nothing available when I went looking and said it could take 3 weeks to a month to get in. So I found another automotive store that sells Stant and they were able to get the 10511 in in less than a week.

I hope I do not regret my decision...now I am concerned since it was a special order and it can't be returned.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:06 PM

I bought both the Stant and the Gates had the same problem with both. I email the ebay seller about the measurements of his fuel caps did not give them to me. He said he had sold many to HHR owners and most of the time they fit and it was a problem with the filler tube sitting to high.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 PM

GM Locking Gas Cap

I had a locking cap on the GMC Sonoma I traded on the HHR. I had bought it earlier at the local Chevy Dealer (Where I had bought the Sonoma used). It's a GM accessory, not an after market cap.
I just had them change it over to the HHR. Fits with no problem!!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie

I had a locking cap on the GMC Sonoma I traded on the HHR. I had bought it earlier at the local Chevy Dealer (Where I had bought the Sonoma used). It's a GM accessory, not an after market cap.
I just had them change it over to the HHR. Fits with no problem!!
Happen to know the part number? What year was the Sonoma?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
Happen to know the part number? What year was the Sonoma?
It was a '99 Sonoma. Chevy S-10 pickup is the same thing. I think they were the same up thru 2001/02 whenever they switched to the Colorado pickup.
Sorry, but I don't have the part#, I tossed all the paperwork I had on the Sonoma when I got the HHR.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM

Went to PartsAmerica website and put in 99 GMC Sonoma and it pulled up these. Maybe one of these might work. Maybe I'll head down to Checker & Auto Zone tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Quick Reply: Locking Fuel Cap