General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Looking for advice on the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
With the SS you got 4-wheel disc brakes, the extra 100hp allows them to reach velocities which require some extra grunt in the braking department.

A few folks have converted LS and LT models to 4-wheel discs, but it's not easy, and fairly involved too.

Replacing the front rotors with heavy duty ones, and using heavy duty brake pads ups the stopping ability of disc/drum HHR's.

I use Raybestos/Napa heavy duty parts and have no complaints at all.
Good to know. Sort of like Harley. The most reliable parts are in the after market. Snap.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

Find an SS with brembos, they stop.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 AM

15K for an 08 LT? WOW..Maybe an SS....not more then 10k$
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM

My local Carmax was selling 2006-2011 HHRs for between 10,500 an 12,950 last November. I never did figure why the 2006 was only $300 less than a 2008, I suppose there is a devalue plateau.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Apparently used car prices have gone up.....until one trades one in...LOL
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Looking for advice on the HHR

I am looking at buying an 08-11 HHR w 2LT Been hashing this out for months. My head says get the CX-5 My heart says save $12G and buy an HHR. IF I cannot find one at a great price, My only other choice is a Mazda CX-5 when the 2013s start hitting the streets used.

Been reading this forum for months since deciding to cash out my Tacoma. Got an offer today (pending Credit Union) today at $22,500 which is $3500 more than Carmax offered as a straight buy out last Feb. If the deal goes, I am willing to spend up to $12,000 for an HHR. I don't put many miles on a car. Maybe 4000 a year. So the Tacoma is a pile of money doing nothing and I want a smaller foot print in my garage for my bike to fit as well. HHR looks like a fun hobby car.
I found this and may make an offer for $11,000 cash

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/3867344896.html

With 50K

What should I look for? Pattern Issues I have been reading are

Shifter ignitions stuck
Wind deflector moon roof
Water leaks taking out heater blower/resistor
Front rotors warping
Various electrical mysteries
Lift gate membrane failures
Suspension issues with stabilizers (clunks?)

Krist making this list is giving me second thoughts....LOL What am I missing?

Is the battery in the rear a problem for anyone?

Does the 2LT set up dismiss any of these more common issues I have been reading about? ie different suspension, bigger engine.....

Some of them seem like inexpensive fixes. Others not so much.
Coming from two Toyotas Wife on her third RAV (never an issue.) Me coming from a trouble free Tacoma. (Neither of us ever running into a wall and bursting into flames due to a stuck accelerator) I will admit I am a little tentative about buying a Chevy given what I have been reading. But they all cannot have all these pattern issues.

I also am looking at an 08 with 20K but that's a Ford dealer and they want $14474. I would not give them more than $12,000 plus tax.

Thanks for the advice.....and maybe comfort and confidence?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 AM

I think the 2LT is the one to get, but I'm biased.

I drove a couple 1LT's with the 2.2 before I bought mine. Performance was 'satisfactory', but the 2.2 seems to have the extra 'oomph' that I like. The 2LT also has the best suspension set up, flat and stable. You also get the 17" wheels and tires as well.

It's nice having the extra luxuries as well - leather, moon roof, power driver's seat, etc. As to the moon roof, one of the main reasons I went for the 2LTwas to get the moon roof. The HHR with it's very high belt line gave me a claustrophobic feeling inside. The moon roof with the interior panel slid back helps alleviate that feeling. Also, speaking of the claustrophobic feeling, the HHR also has another big issue that your have to be aware of - the extremely wide A-pillars. You need to be very careful when negotiating residential streets, as it's possible to 'lose' even an entire car behind the A-pillar, let alone a bicyclist or pedestrian. When making turns at lower speeds, I shift my head from side to side in order to see around the pillar.

I haven't experienced much in the way of trouble with my HHR. I did get the warped front rotor issue, which was fixed with ceramic brake pads and a good brake job.

No trouble with the moon roof wind deflector - just keep the roof opening free of debris. Maybe a little silicone spray on the hinge mechanism once in a while.

Suspension 'clunks'? Yeah - I have a small 'clunk' during colder weather only, and only in the morning. Not a bit issue for me - I've never checked it out.

I've heard of a couple issues with the rear battery. The vent tube seems to be a pretty flimsy design - just make sure it's in the right place, and secure.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
I think the 2LT is the one to get, but I'm biased.

I drove a couple 1LT's with the 2.2 before I bought mine. Performance was 'satisfactory', but the 2.2 seems to have the extra 'oomph' that I like. The 2LT also has the best suspension set up, flat and stable. You also get the 17" wheels and tires as well.

It's nice having the extra luxuries as well - leather, moon roof, power driver's seat, etc. As to the moon roof, one of the main reasons I went for the 2LTwas to get the moon roof. The HHR with it's very high belt line gave me a claustrophobic feeling inside. The moon roof with the interior panel slid back helps alleviate that feeling. Also, speaking of the claustrophobic feeling, the HHR also has another big issue that your have to be aware of - the extremely wide A-pillars. You need to be very careful when negotiating residential streets, as it's possible to 'lose' even an entire car behind the A-pillar, let alone a bicyclist or pedestrian. When making turns at lower speeds, I shift my head from side to side in order to see around the pillar.

I haven't experienced much in the way of trouble with my HHR. I did get the warped front rotor issue, which was fixed with ceramic brake pads and a good brake job.

No trouble with the moon roof wind deflector - just keep the roof opening free of debris. Maybe a little silicone spray on the hinge mechanism once in a while.

Suspension 'clunks'? Yeah - I have a small 'clunk' during colder weather only, and only in the morning. Not a bit issue for me - I've never checked it out.

I've heard of a couple issues with the rear battery. The vent tube seems to be a pretty flimsy design - just make sure it's in the right place, and secure.

Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah the 2LT is the only model I would buy after reading Edmunds reviews. Plus I like the creature comforts and the premium for them used is not very much. I am more concerned with the pattern stuff. I am a little wary though. Wan to make sure I am doing the right thing because unlike our RAV and Tacoma I know I won;t get anywhere near what I paid for it in a couple years if I decide to go with something newer.

At $22500 for the Tacoma I actually made $2000 driving it for 28 months. Even wholesale is only $1500 less than I paid. That is why i want to keep the entry point as low as possible. The HHR is a niche car with a small following and its discontinued giving all leverage to the buyer or dealer.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 AM

My 06 LT with a 2.4L has been trouble free. (119,000 miles) The stuck key was the only issue I had and was fixed under warranty. Warped rotors I believe are created by the way the car is driven. I had the brakes replaced at 92K miles. I don't have a moon roof, but another car I have does and no leaks after 26 years. My battery was replaced around 70K miles. In Florida, batteries just drop dead suddenly. (that was the only time my HHR wouldn't start). My HHR has averaged a tad over 30 mpg for the past seven years. I had a rear sway bar installed years ago. I do have a cold weather "clunk", but living in Florida, not an issue. I heard the clunk when I was in upstate NY this past December.

Resale value is poor as the HHR was the rental car and they are flooding the market now. (mostly base HHRs are being dumped). Don't pay too much for a used HHR.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Administrator

get what you really want, and I'd say that would be the HHR, enjoy !!

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on the HHR