General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Looking for advice on the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 PM

HHR777
I am 66 and have a metallic red 1 LT (2010) my wive is also 66 and drives a victory red LS (2009) we don't look silly. The thing is to tell some one where we live we just tell them to look for the two red HHRs. Both of ours were bought used in 2010 and wouldn't trade them. They are handy. I can get 8 foot lumber in the car with the seats down and close the hatch. The guy at home depot looked supprised when I pulled up to pick it up. It fit with no problem (done it before)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ron S
HHR777
I am 66 and have a metallic red 1 LT (2010) my wive is also 66 and drives a victory red LS (2009) we don't look silly. The thing is to tell some one where we live we just tell them to look for the two red HHRs. Both of ours were bought used in 2010 and wouldn't trade them. They are handy. I can get 8 foot lumber in the car with the seats down and close the hatch. The guy at home depot looked supprised when I pulled up to pick it up. It fit with no problem (done it before)
Cannot even do that with the Tacoma. 3 feet sticks out the back above the gate. LOL Would love the SS in a LT body. I see a lot of them lately. I am guessing the 11's are coming off three year leases.

The sales guy at Ford called me earlier to let me know of the price change. I told him what I would pay. He says they have a lot "in it" I told him EVERY used car I have purchased was the one the dealer "had a lot into" I know for a fact they are not giving top dollar for HHRs. Certain cars are weak traded. I am guessing $9500 at most if that on any 08. If the car was a strong seller they would not be dropping prices. One went for $16995 to $13995 at another dealer since February. I guess they didn't find a sucker.

Although I really like the car I cannot see paying over half of MSRP for any Chevy over 3 years old. Especially a discontinued model. PT Cruisers have tanked. GM was giving huge rebates on these cars according to the HHR forum on Edmunds on what people were paying for them. Some $5000 back of MSRP.

Well one thing for sure. I enjoy looking at what you guys have done with them. Not liking this though.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/3977232839.html Some CAN be overdone....LOL
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks HHR777,
Just got the Panel after watching and waiting for one with low km that had been fully wrapped. The paint is very close to mint thanks to the wrap. The interior cargo area was protected with the thick rubber mat option.
3M has satin black vehicle wrap material that I'm looking at. Haven't fully decided on a two tone look or custom graphics too.
Like you I read a lot on the forum due to my interest in the vehicle. Knowing ahead of time what the various issues I " may" encounter would be and the lower price due to low resale value is actually what got me interested. Vehicles can cost a lot of money. I kind of feel blessed to have found 2 vehicles for WAAAY less than my own brother paid for one new full size GMC pickup. I could go get another used HHR and enjoy it and he will still be paying off his truck.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
15K for a 5 year old HHR, resale of these can't be that bad.

Love my HHR (yes only LS - boo hoo), but those are pretty different vehicles. Of those Tacoma would be a better fit for me, but I can't do a 2WD truck anymore. Been there/done that, not in Minnesota.

A 2wd off road package is pretty funny.
One would think so at first glance but actually you have to consider the geography and how one would use that here. People use these trucks to tow boats here near the waterway and pull boats out of the water. The rear locker is all that is needed and more than likely not even then. The locker can get the truck out of all but the nastiest places where the truck should not be anyway. Some hunter use them on dirt roads. Otherwise there are places people can go "mudding" Not something on my bucket list. LOL

There is no logical reason to have full on 4WD here. Additional maintenance and Insurance and no where to put them to good use. They sit longer than 2WD TRDs on the lots. Northerners come down here to buy them cheaper than they can get them up north. My truck is worthless up north. Everything north with AWD option has it. AWD Rav 4s sit loner here as well. Their CarFaxs usually indicated they were bought up north and the owners moved here and traded it.

The dealer where I bought mine offered me the same year 4WD for about the same money but I didn't need it. It's all flat here and doesn't snow. I did have a 4WD taco out west years ago but that was before they got big and we would actually go way off road over rocks and desert.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM

I will be 82 in 6 months and don't give a damn what anyone says so far everone loves my HHR, I am done with the mods nothing left to do,m lowered 2 1/2 in. in the rear 2 in. in front gloss black powered coated wheels rear sway bar, I am using the 3rd air filter system that I made and love it. pin stripped, Bentley style grill, HID headlights, nothing more to do. have had it for 5 years and love it more each day. I had a Toyota Celacia GTS you need to rob a bank to buy parts from the dealer.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Age has no bearing on being an HHR owner! I'm 26 and I love my High Roof! The car is both nostalgic and futuristic, endlessly customizable and mechanically reliable... You're smart to own one at any age!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Yeah good to see it appeals to all ages. I like the aspect of customizing. I only out about 4K a year on my vehicles so I don't worry too much about longevity, I just have to buy right the first time. I bought the Tacoma to stop the depreciation on another car I did not like. I traded key to key and it worked. The Tacoma is worth $5000 more than the car I traded for at today's values.

But going forward I don't want to give that up. Buying a used HHR at a great price and taking advantage of both the discontinued model stigma and the niche car stigma the prices should drop more going forward than my Tacoma so time is on my side looking for the right one.

Already scoped out some parts and accessory retailers. First purchase will be a Hood ornament from The Filling Station. The best part about these cars is making them really look like Vintage stock tasefully.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Frustrated because I love this little car.

The more I am reading about these great little cars the scarier it gets, I would be buying an 08 with 20K but just found out about a recall in Canada and the Cobalt using the same power steering units that are failing and no such recall in the US. Along with a myriad of other "pattern" issues that may or may not happen to any particular year or model.

Since I would be paying out of pocket for everything. Logic should rule over emotion and I should pass the the really cool HHR.

Sometimes the beautiful seductive woman has a terrible disposition. The more I am reading around different Chevy Forums regarding the HHR the more I am realizing these little cars have more expensive PAI issues than the rest of the Chevy line and it does not take a lot of miles for some of them to show up. Crapshoot. Some have no issues others have a few of the same.

At least Chevy Customer Service is monitoring all the forums but there is no feedback on the results of their involvement on non warranty vehicles.

Really would love to have this car but since I intend to turn it over to my step daughter in a couple years I am thinking it may be too much for her to deal with if little things keep failing the further away it gets from last production date. Something as simple as jump starting the car can cause electrical failures of the power steering system. I guess that has something to do with the battery in the rear of the vehicle.

I do love the look of the car. the ride, the possibilities. But I don't want to end up paying $15,000 for a $12,000 car. LOL

So my new strategy is raising the price of my Tacoma from $21500 to $22,500 and praying the 08 2LT with 20K sells . LOL
Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 PM

I bought my HHR a lease turn in with 32,000 miles and I love it, no matter what car you buy, general maint. it will last a long time I now have just over 62,386 miles and I have had for 5 years, had the brakes checked and are at 50 percent life left replaced the tires and an alternater if you take care of it it will last a long time.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Any forum you belong to you will see owners post problem with what ever they own. But what you do not hear from are the thousands of owners that have never had a problem. I know 2 good friends with HHR'S a 07 and a 10 that have never had a problem outside of normal wear and tear. Preventive maintenance and care is the key to getting a car to last.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on the HHR