General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Looking for advice on the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM

Besides..most people who " say your crazy" have no clue what an HHR is...and automatically think of PT Cruizer...only suggestion..drive it, compare it, decide w h at u want. Fwiw..I own 2 of them..both over 60k.. both bought new....both reliable..both self maintained. Wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I understand your concerns, and know you have put a lot of thought into the pending purchase, but really I'd suggest you start looking elsewhere (and I am not saying that to be mean or disrespectful in any way) .

I really get the feeling that you will have regret at the first sign of anything going wrong - being a major or minor item.

I've had Toyota's - two of them over the years, and they are great cars. Would I buy another one? No flippin way - the dealer here is terrible, overcharges with phony add-ons at service time, any major work I've ever had needed a follow-up fix - and sometimes two follow-up visits,etc. Etc..

The HHR isn't anything that special (oh some are gonna hate on me for this I know :) ) it's just a car - and none of them are perfect. Just buy what you feel comfortable with - or what you can put up with (like an old British sportscar).

Best of luck
Yeah you are right. I am not as "all in" intellectually equalling my emotional desire for the vehicle . I get all our service done at Toyota. No issues there. Never had a "fixit" so I don't know. Last time I had one of those was on an 80 something 4x4 Tacoma where Toyota was recalling and replacing head gaskets to 120K because they had a run of bad ones for some model year V6s. That is one thing I liked about Toyota. They have a history of fixing issues well past the warranty period and not all were safety. Some were just reliability issues. I just bought a 7/75 0 deductible ToyotaCare Platinum ESC for $549 for the wife's 2012 RAV from an online dealer. I usually would not buy extended Service Contracts but $549 for a factory exclusionary one seems like money in the bank.

The Ford dealership wanted $1700 for the HHR for 4 years 60K . That is a risk I would rather pay myself to take.

All That said. If I got a $9000 spread between vehicles I would not complain about $1500 in repairs. But its looking like $6000 would be the max difference unless I got $22500 for my truck on CL and that would be a stretch. Given the value in two years of both vehicles.

I am going to look at an 2010 Honda made RDX some dealer wants to go key to key with tomorrow. We shall see. Its turbo.Not sure I want a turbo anything.

This all started with me wanting a shorter wheelbase so I can park my bike behind the vehicle and still get to the cabinets in front of the garage, I take the bike 80% of the time year round.

That is why I thought an HHR would be fine. I don't run up miles. My 08 has 34K I put on 7K in 29 months I have had it!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by HHR777
Yeah you are right. I am not as "all in" intellectually equalling my emotional desire for the vehicle . I get all our service done at Toyota. No issues there. Never had a "fixit" so I don't know. Last time I had one of those was on an 80 something 4x4 Tacoma where Toyota was recalling and replacing head gaskets to 120K because they had a run of bad ones for some model year V6s. That is one thing I liked about Toyota. They have a history of fixing issues well past the warranty period and not all were safety. Some were just reliability issues. I just bought a 7/75 0 deductible ToyotaCare Platinum ESC for $549 for the wife's 2012 RAV from an online dealer. I usually would not buy extended Service Contracts but $549 for a factory exclusionary one seems like money in the bank.

The Ford dealership wanted $1700 for the HHR for 4 years 60K . That is a risk I would rather pay myself to take.

All That said. If I got a $9000 spread between vehicles I would not complain about $1500 in repairs. But its looking like $6000 would be the max difference unless I got $22500 for my truck on CL and that would be a stretch. Given the value in two years of both vehicles.

I am going to look at an 2010 Honda made RDX some dealer wants to go key to key with tomorrow. We shall see. Its turbo.Not sure I want a turbo anything.

This all started with me wanting a shorter wheelbase so I can park my bike behind the vehicle and still get to the cabinets in front of the garage, I take the bike 80% of the time year round.

That is why I thought an HHR would be fine. I don't run up miles. My 08 has 34K I put on 7K in 29 months I have had it!
Taking into account all of the input everyone has given here, I fail to see anything else I can add, other than this:

While, like any other car the HHR is a tool (and considering it's possible issues) and a relatively bulletproof workhorse. If you're looking for something to drive with minimal to no drivetrain issues... go for the HHR.

I myself, bought the HHR mostly on emotional impulse, but I did take into account the issues that it's known for.

issues pop up.

If maintenance is something you'd rather avoid, I suggest leasing a new, comparable class car.

My HHR philosophy:

Don't expect a car based on something from the 1940's to be easy to cosmetically maintain, and be ready for the issues that come with an aging car.

We're not a recruiting cult here, and happy to give advice and our own experience but no one is forcing you to buy one.

For some, the HHR isn't the right car, it's just a fact of automotive life...but the one request I do have... AVOID THE PT CRUISER AT ALL COSTS, it's not a sensible alternative.

With that, I leave this thread.

Good luck and good hunting in your search for answers with the HHR.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM

I will add this , after my wife bought hers and driving it when I could steel it from her, I liked it enough that I went out and bought one for myself. Great little cars and it has been as reliable as my old Corolla that I traded in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM

PT Cruiser is NOT in the mix. One of the reasons I stareted looking at the HHR

1. Good value for the money used (but one of those drive the wheels off cars becasue trade value is dreadful as indicated.)
2. LONG flat cargo area. I cannot put 12 8 foot 2x4s on my truck without 3 feet sticking out the back.
3. Fun car to customize and drive. I do like driving them and I drove a few although the 2LT with leather is the only model I would consider as it would not have been a fleet or rental vehicle and I think some of the suspension issues would not be relevant. Although the argument can be made fleet and rentals would have had ALL issues resolved (and I am not all that enamoured with a moon roof)

I understand every car has issues although we have been truly spoiled by Toyotas. 86K on her 06 RAV 4 an not a single "fixit" Paid $18,000 for it put 87K on it. Was in a wreck in 2011 at 55K suffered $11,000 damage (would not total it because of street replacement value) . Sold it for $9800 with full CarFax disclosure 2 weeks ago to the first buyer of four inquiries on the first day it was on Craigslist. Powerful resale. Bought a 2012 with 13K for $21K OTD But that's her car she drives a lot more than I.

BTW Ford sales sent me an Email offering another $500 for my truck against the 08. Still $2000 apart for my comfort level. If it were black I would have loosened my number. But that Orange is a little "conspicuous" Nice otherwise. Not a scratch.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 PM

You just have to love the internet!

Filled this forum with was 3 or more threads? with possible complaints and worry. Too funny, considering you have never owned one.

Don't buy one, doubt the internet could handle it!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM

It is not going to be a trouble-free as a Toyota but it is not a Yugo either. Mine is 5 years old and I have only had minor quality problems so far that were a little disappointing (coming from Hondas that rank up there with Toyotas) but they were cheap fixes. Key fob had to be resoldered, lift struts replaced, front disks resurfaced.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by bk94si
It is not going to be a trouble-free as a Toyota but it is not a Yugo either. Mine is 5 years old and I have only had minor quality problems so far that were a little disappointing (coming from Hondas that rank up there with Toyotas) but they were cheap fixes. Key fob had to be resoldered, lift struts replaced, front disks resurfaced.
Nice bike. My main form of transport is a bike. Which is why I m even considering this trade off. But That's encouraging. That is an advantage to American cars. Parts are generally cheaper as well as labor.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Yep, my 22 year old Honda is my main transportation, weather permitting. The HHR is actually my wife's car.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 PM

57k no problems other than routine maintenance average 27.9 mpg.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on the HHR