General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

looks like we got some new competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
Let's see, who is confused here. The HHR is built in Mexico, so you can call it a Central American built vehicle. V.W., Honda, Toyota and other "so called" foreign vehicles are built right here in the U.S. of A with some Mexican parts. So, you are taking pride in your Central American vehicle and not in any built in the U.S.A vehicles?
Geography 101. Mexico is in North America, just like Canada.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/nacaps.htm
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff90125
My mom had an 83 Malibu. That thing was a POS. The V6 in that couldn't get out of it's own way. It would diesel and knock and ping.

Then my mom got a 1994 Lumina. She still has it. 3.1 V6. The thing still looks like she drove it off the showroom floor. It sleeps in a heated garage and she only drives it to church, to the store and out to lunch.
My wagon was all custom heres a pic, it was completely rebuilt.

Name:  IMAG0128.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Nice!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 PM

I will always buy GM Their cars are so different from other they have their own style. Honda,Toyota ect ect.... alot of thier cars look a lot alike. Lets say we are comparing family sedans most foreign sedans all look the same then you throw a G8 in the mix and it completely stands out from the rest, in a good way.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
My wagon was all custom heres a pic, it was completely rebuilt.

rebuilt?!? really! but it looks so stock!

what's hilarious is that some of the designers for the HHR are toyota employees.

also... scions are 100% japanese. its why they cost a bit less... though many toyotas are built in america, designed in america and sold to americans...

some of that money does go back to japan, but how dare another countries populous make a profit for building a superior product!

dont get me wrong, i really enjoy the little isuzu derived I-4 in the HHR that was built in a plant with connections to isuzu...

but if not for the atrocious resale and my current lack of fundage, i wouldnt be spending 9000 on a used HHR. i would be spending 20,000 on the Xb... it was more responsive than the HHR, felt faster. rode smoother and had a better sound system!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM

Man i hate the Xbs sooo much I really don't understand what their deal is with the center mounted instrument panel and the one back up light looking all out of place. Faster than the HHR nah i don't think so at all, overall comfort of that thing was crap to me. I test drove one about 3 months ago at first i liked em a little bit, it all changed for me once i drove it.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff90125
Let me set the record straight, it is more important to me that a car is an American car regardless of where it is built. Just because the HHR is assembled in Mexico does not make it a mexican car. Just because some Toyotas are built in the U.S. does not make it an American car.

Who owns Toyota?

Toyota is without a doubt a Japanese company. The designs are Japanese as well as the owners. The profits from the sales go to Japan.

Who owns Chevorlet?

Chevrolet is an American company building American designs. The profits stay in the U.S.

Any arguments there?

I agree American cars should be made in America by American hands. If an American car is made in Mexico, at least the profits stay in the U.S.
Profits? Who cares about profits? You got GM stock, how's that working out for you? What about wages? Here's a quote I picked up somewhere a while back: "A vast network of capable parts suppliers – who Honda considers its partners – makes being a self-sufficient North American vehicle producer possible. Honda builds its own engines, transmissions and major parts, such as the outside steel skin and instrument panels, at its plants in the United States. But its 624 North American suppliers (more than 540 of them in the U.S. and 162 in Ohio) make the remainder of the vehicles' 10,000 parts.
These supplier companies receive about $19.5 billion in revenue annually from Honda and employ more than 40,000 Ohioans. According to a 2004 Economic Impact Study, the total estimated employment impact in Ohio is more than 128,000 jobs." That's a lot of US owned companies and American workers making a living off "foreign" cars.

As for the Xb comparison, let's wait a couple years and see how many HHR's are still running good with 200,000 miles. I'm betting most Xb's will be!

And before you knock my opinions, I bought my first GM in '76 and drove about 10 more before buying my first foreign car. Since then I've owned 6 Nissan's/Infiniti's and don't regret buying any of them.

'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Malibu
'72 Chevelle SS
'71 Nova SS
'66 Chevelle SS
'74 Chevy stepside
'80 Chevette
'85 Pontiac Grand AM
'86 GMC S-15 V6
'88 Pontiac Grand Prix
'96 Buick Roadmaster wagon LT-1

Somewhere in the 80's American built cars lost it: model-kit interiors, cheap construction and short-lived drivetrains. At 70xxx miles they were shot. And, they never got it back until it was to late, hence they are were they are today. You brand loyal owners are only kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 AM

i had 225,000 miles on my Camaro before selling original motor and tranny. If your betting on a jap car then why didn't you buy one of those sweet looking boxes that have no personality what so ever? Something must have convinced you to get the hhr and you have modded it also.You said somewhere in the 80s american cars lost it LMAO how about every car manufacture lost it, it was the age of the computer and that when all the new technology started coming out. have you ever saw a 95 toyota corolla they are so ugly and put together like crap. Honestly i don't think the auto industry picked up off its feet till after 2000.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM

bigmocats: what do you mean..."As for the Xb comparison, let's wait a couple years and see how many HHR's are still running good with 200,000 miles. I'm betting most Xb's will be!
my family always had fords...so guess what my first car was? 92' jet black mustang lx 5.0 notchback. then came a saturn sl blew a tranny at 110,000. then came 95' aurora again with the tranny at 115,000. i don't blame the manufacturer, i blame the previous owners for not doing scheduled maintenance, hence why i bought new this time. i also considered the new vw gti and i LOVED it, as for being about $5k price difference i was sold then i saw vw's quality and reliability track record as the vw owners tell ya either you get a awesome 200,000+miles or you get a lemon,there is no in between and again a good amount of vw's are made in mexico too. you drive to work and how many cars 1990 and below are european? in the hondas, if the vin has a "j" in it (made in japan) , the car is more expensive overall and i think the insurance is a bit higher. the argument of whether the car's reliability and quality is it's country of origin OR where it's built OR who builds it OR owner responsibilty can be hard to prove.....wow i think i rambled on long enough
Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_SS_QC
Geography 101. Mexico is in North America, just like Canada.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/nacaps.htm
Just to make a point, some people think that 'America and American' just means the U.S. of A. The whole of the western hemisphere is America, North, Central and South. Most of the so-called foreign companies that build their cars here only build what sells here. They don't build them here to ship overseas.

Quick Reply: looks like we got some new competition