General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

looks like we got some new competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:30 AM

uh "jap cars???!?!!!"

YOU HAVE A FLIPPING ECOTEC ENGINE!!!!

I think the Xb has plenty of personality, and FEELS faster, and rides smoother at the same speeds...

BUT. on the flip side, while the center mounted gauges are no longer distracting( they're actually angled in such a way you get a better view than you would with the wheel in the way.) the center gauges in the ECHO were hell. and put me off them for a while.

and what the flip is up with that backup light! agreed, its like a mole the Xb should go see a doctor about.

P.S.

I'm sure that toyota can get more out of a naturally aspirated 2.4 I-4 than chevy... they've been doing it a lot longer...

and as for domestics making it to 200,000 miles... fords do it all the time... and newer chevy's seem to me to be capable of it with a little love!

and... anyone who says a toyota is put together like crap is deluded...

but, anyone who calls them ugly... has eyeballs!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 AM

Cool Just to throw another one at everybody,

just watched an ad about the new concept vehicle from Kia. It is the Soul'ster. It is kind of a Jeep Wrangler version of the Soul. It has a 2-piece removable roof, 4 cantilevered bucket seats and is a 2-door, but still has the rear hatch which is now a tailgate. The windshield is chopped down a bit also. Kinda looks like a small Hum-Vee. Most everything else about it is identical to the Soul. Still not much of a color selection.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 AM

half of me says

"convertible good"

the other says

"kia bad"

and the other other says

"arent you selling your jeep? okay, shutup then."
Old 04-12-2009, 06:06 AM

oops I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit FUGLY
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 AM

American Cars

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
Profits? Who cares about profits? You got GM stock, how's that working out for you? What about wages? Here's a quote I picked up somewhere a while back: "A vast network of capable parts suppliers – who Honda considers its partners – makes being a self-sufficient North American vehicle producer possible. Honda builds its own engines, transmissions and major parts, such as the outside steel skin and instrument panels, at its plants in the United States. But its 624 North American suppliers (more than 540 of them in the U.S. and 162 in Ohio) make the remainder of the vehicles' 10,000 parts.
These supplier companies receive about $19.5 billion in revenue annually from Honda and employ more than 40,000 Ohioans. According to a 2004 Economic Impact Study, the total estimated employment impact in Ohio is more than 128,000 jobs." That's a lot of US owned companies and American workers making a living off "foreign" cars.

As for the Xb comparison, let's wait a couple years and see how many HHR's are still running good with 200,000 miles. I'm betting most Xb's will be!

And before you knock my opinions, I bought my first GM in '76 and drove about 10 more before buying my first foreign car. Since then I've owned 6 Nissan's/Infiniti's and don't regret buying any of them.

'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Malibu
'72 Chevelle SS
'71 Nova SS
'66 Chevelle SS
'74 Chevy stepside
'80 Chevette
'85 Pontiac Grand AM
'86 GMC S-15 V6
'88 Pontiac Grand Prix
'96 Buick Roadmaster wagon LT-1

Somewhere in the 80's American built cars lost it: model-kit interiors, cheap construction and short-lived drivetrains. At 70xxx miles they were shot. And, they never got it back until it was to late, hence they are were they are today. You brand loyal owners are only kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.
I agree in the early 80s Chevy was producing crap. My 83 Monte carlo was a sweet looking car. It had T-Tops and had a ton of personality. The engine was a piece-o-crap. It was a 3.8 liter (305 with two cylinders chopped off) and would knock and ping and would spew acrid smoke when first started.

In 1987 GM produced the 2.8 liter V6. Designed as a 6 from the ground up. What a sweet engine. Then they added multi-port fuel injection. I bought one. I had a 1988 Chevy Beretta. I owned trhat car for 9 years. Loved it. It ran like a top till the day I traded it in.

You say, "Who cares about profits?" I do. No, I don't own stock in GM. But I do care where the money goes or stays. I want to keep as much money in the U.S. that I can. That way it can be spent here once again. If the profits go to Japan, it is more likely to be spent there.

I believe there should be high tariffs on any imports. Not just cars but anything. I have two reasons for this:

1) Foreign companies should have to pay for the privilege of doing business in the United States.

2) As additional encouragement for Americans to buy American products or to discourage buying foreign products.

As an example: I am a musician. Fender musical instruments has two lines. American and ... well they just don;t say American. they are build in Mexico. They both are built to the same specs. they are very difficult if not impossible to tell apart without looking at the label. Where an American model will be $800 a Mexican one will be $350. I say put a $200 tariff on the Mexican. It will still be cheaper and will raise revenue for the U.S.

Added bonus; less money that will have to be raised from the citizens.

Ha! I should run for congress!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
Let's see, who is confused here. The HHR is built in Mexico, so you can call it a Central American built vehicle. V.W., Honda, Toyota and other "so called" foreign vehicles are built right here in the U.S. of A with some Mexican parts. So, you are taking pride in your Central American vehicle and not in any built in the U.S.A vehicles?
It is built by an American based company. Sorry I don't buy into the big lie as too many do today.

The money mostly comes back to my community since we have many GM based division in my area.

My community gets little to nothing from Toyota and most other imports.

I don't care where the HHR is built but I do care where the corperation that built it is based. I care where their money comes back to.

Do you even understand the plan is only a few miles form Texas? We are not talking about the Gatamala border here. The economic impact even effect Texas and other states as they do supply parts.

You do understand the engine in my SS is from Spring Hill TN? Do under stand many other parts of my HHR were made here in the states to be assembled in the Mexico plant. You do understand your engine came from Tonowanda NY? You do understand that many of the parts for the Asian cars are imported to this country from Japan and are only assmebled here?

The bulk of GMs cars and money is spent right here.

You can sit around and try to justify it 72 ways but as long as Toyota is based in Toyota City in Japan that is where the money goes. Might check where GM is based. I think the have an office in Detroit? The day Mr Toyoda moves his office, coperation and residence to this country I will feel then it truely is a American company.

The bottom line is my HHR has more economic impact on this country and continent that most Toyotas or Hondas.

It is getting hard because of people who don't care for our country but I still try to buy what is here as I can.

Also the lie that American cars are not able to go high mileage does bother me. American cars can go every bit as far as an import. In fact that is nothing new. I can show you count less old Chevys that have seen 200K to over 500K miles.

On the other hand I have friends in the repair industry that make a killing off of Toyotas and Hondas as they wear our part just as any other car.

Our country is being sold away one lie at a time and sorry if I do not fall for same lie like so many do.

Because of all the Illegal Aliens in California does that make you a 4 country? No! But has it hurt your economy and job market Yes! Have your elected officials done anything to help the native Californians not much. Have many moved to Oregon and Colorado to get away from the high cost living and taxes that support the illegals that don't pay the income tax? Yes! Do the people in your stater keep reelecting these people Yes?

Sorry for the off topic but California is a snap shot of there this country is headed. Buying a car built by an American based company is my small way of trying to help.

Might read the chapter in the book Why GM Matters on how Toyota a the Toyoda family has and does buisness. It is very interesting and very unforgiving. They are not the shinny happy family as portrayed. They come from a line of Shoguns and still practice their ruthless ways. To put it simple they do not care about America but only dollars. Just check how much money over the years the big three have donated vs what Toyota has given back to the communities in this country.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by edwinalink
uh "jap cars???!?!!!"

I think the Xb has plenty of personality, and FEELS faster, and rides smoother at the same speeds...

BUT. on the flip side, while the center mounted gauges are no longer distracting( they're actually angled in such a way you get a better view than you would with the wheel in the way.) the center gauges in the ECHO were hell. and put me off them for a while.

and what the flip is up with that backup light! agreed, its like a mole the Xb should go see a doctor about.

P.S.

I'm sure that toyota can get more out of a naturally aspirated 2.4 I-4 than chevy... they've been doing it a lot longer...

and as for domestics making it to 200,000 miles... fords do it all the time... and newer chevy's seem to me to be capable of it with a little love!

and... anyone who says a toyota is put together like crap is deluded...

but, anyone who calls them ugly... has eyeballs!
What are you doing on a Chevy forum if all your going to do is talk crap about them LMAO it makes no since to me you buy a GM car then talk crap go over to a scion forum and talk about how bad chevy are, TROLL.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by edwinalink
uh "jap cars???!?!!!"

P.S.

What's the issue with Ecotec? It was designed by GM Europe (Opel), who have a long history of four-pots with high specific output. It's assembled in Tonawanda NY.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 PM

american or not

either way those vehicles can not compete with the hhr . the hhr has better performance /handling , stylng , economy , larger cargo area. i looked at all of them , and seriously considered all of them before i purhased the hhr. the only vehicle i found comparable was the toyota rav , and it lost in the style competition.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I don't feel at all unpatriotic about buying a car from south of the border. Besides...I can't stand the way I'm treated by the lazy a$$ local UAW warehouse that I have to make deliveries to. They're one of the worst customers I have to deal with!

Quick Reply: looks like we got some new competition