General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

looks like we got some new competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Those both fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I didn't think anything out there could make a Honda Element or Scion XB look good, but it has finally happened.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Question

Originally Posted by edwinalink

but both HHRs and gen2 Xb's cruise nicely on the highway... and have unique styling... and come with available 2.4 inline 4 engines...

and come to think of it. toyota had a hand in the creation of both of them too...

co-inky-dinky me thinky?
Is that true?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM

yeah, the cobalt gets built in NUMMI (sometimes) and since toyota runs that factory, they had a lot of say in the programs that produced the cobalt,HHR,VIbe and others...

I've heard speculation that the reason they have helped engineer so many vehicles for GM, is that they plan to eventually aquire GM... but its been going on for years... sooo...

the reason isuzu is in you HHR is the same reason a ford is full of mazda. if you have access to great stuff from a subsidiary/business parter/whatever... why try to make differant great stuff!?

though I must say... the internet is full of people saying so much differant crap about who runs what,works for who, who is owned by who,

I believe I am correct. but I often hear someone else say "nay" whenever i quote motortrend!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by edwinalink
yeah, the cobalt gets built in NUMMI (sometimes) and since toyota runs that factory, they had a lot of say in the programs that produced the cobalt,HHR,VIbe and others...
Cobalts along with the G5s get built in Lordstown, Ohio been there. Vibe does get built at NUMMI along with the Toyota Corolla and Toyota Tacoma but that is it.
Toyota had nothing to do with HHR. Brian Nesbitt(sp) designed the HHR who also designed the PT cruiser. Research a little more to dig deeper to not just believe that you are correct but know you are correct. Tell me what was the first car to be built at the NUMMI plant? And NUMMI stands for New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM

I know people who post on a toyota forum who would flip out at what you just said, I am not really moved by it. but I make sure to note what you say.(largely because the "who works for who,who's money is it,define joint venture for me" arguements always have a bunch guys SURE they know everything about everything)

i know cobalts/G5's ALSO get built in NUMMI because I have seen the NUMMI tags on the door... I have seen ONE NUMMI tagged HHR, which troubles me. because i have no knowledge of them ever being built there.

I love research, but after hours of searching the net... I have found little to support or deny all the different conflicting statements about these things... (perhaps because of its gossipy nature)

so I just have to consider what I hear the most, against what i actually know. and try to draw conclusions from there.

It's interesting to know that there are Ohio built cobalts... is this a union factory?

PS

brian designed THE LOOKS of the HHR. it takes dozens of people start to finish to design a car, AND design the process by which it gets built.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 AM

Like stated above the Cobalt is built in Lordstwon Ohio and is a UAW plant.

The NUMMI plant in Fremont California has nothing to do with them.

Now Lordstown did make a Toyota Cavalier a few years back with RHD for the Toyota dealers in Japan. They did poorly and many were sold to rual mail carriers in this country since the steering wheels are on the wrong side.

Also I was in the Lordstown plant last August and they even stated the Cobalt was only built there and the new Cruze will also be built there soon.

The UAW there used to be a hrd line plant but they know they could be gone soon so they have been workin g with GM very well and that is why they got the new car. This plant and others like the Fairfax plant in KS are working with GM very well and the Change in attitude has been rewarded by GM.

The Chevy Nova from the 80's-90's and the Vibe are the NUMMI cars built in the Fremont plant in California.

NUMMI could have shown up on other cars if the Fremont plant supplied a part but as far as I am aware the Fremont plant is only a assembly plant and does no MFG of parts.

The HHR plant is just over the border from TX and is the only plant to build HHR's GM also builds a hand full of other cars there like the H@ hummer etc. The line the HHR filled was the Astec line once GM killed it.

Shaginwgn Is Correct and most of the info Edwinalink posted is incorrect.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM

fine with being wrong, and you seem to lack the "the internet makes me right" attitude. so I tend to believe you...

I may link this on the toyota site if it comes up there again, so you may have flamers... but i wont do that unless they want to get into it
(that way you'll only have me in your hair!)

but whats with the red cobalt LS coupe having a nummi tag?

and I KNOW that HHRs arent built there... so do other plants with similar acronyms have that same blue and white diagonally striped build tag?

but on the other hand. I know several GM desingers (related) and tend to belive them when they say "persons name" works with toyota but we have him in town this week working on part X and the "this for "that""

not being a designer or a plant employee, i know none of the technicalities!

or that a certain design firm may not belong to a company on paper, but behind the books the money is owned by someone else...

edit:

but while we are on the topic of correcting me.

why does toyota play so nice with GM? they dont own/owe anything to each other. and neither one really bails the other one out.

but i can get a GM supercharger for a TC. and i can get a Diff for an Xb that comes from a supplier that GM owns (well actually i cant, because I dont know specifics of how to order it... i would need to ask the toyota parts guy!)

what gives?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM

I believe there's a badge on the back of that cube that reads "Powered By Nintendo"
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM

OMG! it does look like a nintendo... a super nintendo!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
just watched an ad about the new concept vehicle from Kia. It is the Soul'ster. It is kind of a Jeep Wrangler version of the Soul. It has a 2-piece removable roof, 4 cantilevered bucket seats and is a 2-door, but still has the rear hatch which is now a tailgate. The windshield is chopped down a bit also. Kinda looks like a small Hum-Vee. Most everything else about it is identical to the Soul. Still not much of a color selection.
Looks like a new age dune buggy, They'd sell a sh-t load in beach towns.