General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Lots to ask about a HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Lots to ask about a HHR

Hi, I'm a single father with growing boys, large boys. My 16yo is 6'3" and both like to snowboard. Well my current car is an 2004 Impala. It has 135 and I plan to give it some TLC and let my son drive it. Before that I had a GMC Jimmy I drove for 175k and was just tired of driving it and got the car. I think the HHR would be a great all around vehicle.

I was looking at this.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4284728784.html

What are the major concerns or problems with the HHR. How long do they last? I'm capable of replacing anything mechanically if necessary. I know I'm speaking to a slanted audience but educate me on the HHR. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Welcome to the site I love both of my hhr's. I think that hold up just as well as any car.

All cars have there common problems. You can find lots of pros and cons on here. Use the search box at the top the page and you will find lots of reading material.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Welcome to the site I love both of my hhr's. I think that hold up just as well as any car.

All cars have there common problems. You can find lots of pros and cons on here. Use the search box at the top the page and you will find lots of reading material.

Thanks, I was kind of hinting at if the one in the add is a good/fair deal and how much life it has left in it?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Looks too low to me go drive it, only way to tell.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Price seems low too me. Maybe he just really wants to sell it quick, or there is something wrong with it, damage on other side, marked title, runs poor.
I'd drive it and get a Car fax or another report on it.

Pretty hard to give an answer from 1 photo and a 1 grumpy sentence ad.

But if it looks and runs good, nothing weird in it's history. I would not be afraid to buy it.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
Price seems low too me. Maybe he just really wants to sell it quick, or there is something wrong with it, damage on other side, marked title, runs poor.
I'd drive it and get a Car fax or another report on it.

Pretty hard to give an answer from 1 photo and a 1 grumpy sentence ad.

But if it looks and runs good, nothing weird in it's history. I would not be afraid to buy it.

Grumpy....LOL.....You got that right. Last month it did not even have the picture. You had to contact them to get a picture. I was about to think about a new car, possibly a malibu but it's 20k out the door and not the room I'm used to. I'd like for the boys to share riding in the back seat and the 6'3" might not even fit in a new malibu? I can't get them away from the Xbox long enough to go look with me. I know the HHR is not as big as the Impala but I think it will fit my needs for a few years if it will last a few years. Thanks for any information.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Administrator

I'm 6'5" and no headroom or legroom issues in my '07 as for the HHR in the add, on the test drive ask if you can stop by an Autozone and check any saved codes, run a carfax of course and follow your instincts, he may just be careful as he may have had a deal fall thru or sick of tire kickers! best of luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM

My wife and I both have HHRs and they are great vehicles. There have been posts on the forum of high milage. I was talking to someone about mine that I could fold the passenger seat down and get 8 foot lumber in and shut the hatch. He said that he couldn't do that with his Ford Explorer.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Dealers are offering $2500-3500 for my 06 HHR LT. Mine has 128K miles on it and the car has been trouble free since I bought it new. A new similar type vehicle is $23-28K. My way of looking at it, if I had to drop $5K in repairs, that would be cheaper than spending $23-28K for a new car that has unknown issues out the door.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

make sure you have it checked by a mechanic or yourself especially underneath it. there are a lot of cars circulating around that have flood damage from recent events like hurricane sandy and sometimes carfax does not show this info. im sure you will do this anyways........
just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Lots to ask about a HHR