General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Talking Louvers

Has any one punched louvers in their hood? That is what I want to get done, but my question is. Will the louvers allow the elements to mess-up the electronics under the hood? Here in Texas it has rained every other week-end.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Louvers will allow water to enter the engine bay. Water can damage electrical components.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Guys that know their business always fab a tray under the louvers to collect rain and it drains out through a hose> It isn"t seen from the outside and keeps everything nice and dry under the hood> I have built a few myself
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM

From another thread:

Name:  hood_louvers_640_08.gif
Views: 484
Size:  207.6 KB
Old 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM

A good builder will make the trays as stated... A lot of times the trays are made with a flange where it meets the hood that has flexible magnetic material on it like they make temporary signs out of. This allows you to remove the trays for show and on dry days.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by HHorange
A good builder will make the trays as stated... A lot of times the trays are made with a flange where it meets the hood that has flexible magnetic material on it like they make temporary signs out of. This allows you to remove the trays for show and on dry days.
I haven't made any with magnetic strips but, I always welded studs so the tray would be held with small knurled nuts and could be removed easily to clean. I have to laugh, you wouldn't believe what you'd find.There's a real nice rubber tape I use to provide a seal.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM

I don't like it straight across like that I'd rather an V configurations from the front of the hood. How much does it cost to make one with the removable tray, that would be perfect for dry/wet weather and shows? Definitely would help to pull more air through our after market intercoolers and cool the engine bay.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I don't like it straight across like that I'd rather an V configurations from the front of the hood. How much does it cost to make one with the removable tray, that would be perfect for dry/wet weather and shows? Definitely would help to pull more air through our after market intercoolers and cool the engine bay.
Louvers are usually priced each. Not a simple job, all the sub-structure must be removed from the skin as the louvers are punched from the bottom. The skin is stripped and layout applied on the bottom side then punched and reassembled to frame work. Then the pan or tray is fabbed, hood painted and re-attached to car. Next time you see a nice louver job you may appreciate it a little more.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bunkie
Louvers are usually priced each. Not a simple job, all the sub-structure must be removed from the skin as the louvers are punched from the bottom. The skin is stripped and layout applied on the bottom side then punched and reassembled to frame work. Then the pan or tray is fabbed, hood painted and re-attached to car. Next time you see a nice louver job you may appreciate it a little more.
Oh I've seen them made on a TV show with the rat rod style car that has the hoods similar to ours. But still the question is how much does a hood like that run?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 PM

The last louvers I did were $3.oo ea.

Quick Reply: Louvers