General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Lowered VS. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlienHHR
My question is, can you still load it up with 4 adults and luggage and not bottom out?
Thats a good question..Socal how many people have you had in your ride ?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
Has anyone lowered a LS yet?I'm wodering how much different its gonna feel lowerd after having the touring springs..I still dont know what springs to go with either.I like the idea of it being lowered to level with the goldlines but then again those springtechs dont look bad and they are cheaper.
I have a 1LT (with the touring suspension), and lowering it stiffens it up a bit. The ride is still very nice - nicer than my wife's '06 Accord! The big difference is that now it corners like it's on rails!

Keep in mind also that you get what you pay for... A few extra dollars for springs that have been tested and re-tested prior to being released, and that carry a lifetime warranty - are well worth putting on your daily driver.

Call me biased - but I can sell whatever springs I want to. We chose the Gold-Lines because they do it right. If someone else came along with a better spring (or one just as good), I'd be selling it to give my customers some other options.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:17 AM

I'm most likely going to go with the goldlines.Mike since you had the touring suspension did you use the camber kit and the shims?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM

I still want to know if you will bottom out when fully loaded...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 AM

I don't really fill my car with people to often unless I'm going out of town or something so aslong as its ok on the highway I would be cool.I just don't like the gap in the rear that is left with the springtech springs.It just looks better with an even gap.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM

I don't mind the gap too much, I do still like the front to rear rake though. I do like the look of the fender gap gone.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AlienHHR
I still want to know if you will bottom out when fully loaded...
I don't know about "fully loaded." The springs are already stiffer than stock, and you also have bump stops (which are trimmed during lowering) on the vehicle in case it ever bottoms.

The most I usually carry are my 18-month old son in his car seat, and a 65lb. bandpass sub box that sits in the cargo area. Last week I picked up 4 large storage racks (broken down), that weighed 50lbs. a piece. They sat in the back with my bandpass box (that's a lot of weight distributed behind the rear axle). No bottoming problems.

If you happen to carry a full load of passengers and cargo, it would be easy enough to install air shocks in the rear for those occasions. I have thought about it myself to raise the rear when I put it up on the rack (my Lake Pipes drag getting on & off). Air shocks would be a simple way to increase ride stiffness, height, and load carrying capability.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM

Any idea on cost as far as air suspension for the rear?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM

You can buy a standard air shock kit for around $60-75. One just needs to be cross-referenced that has the same mounts and proper length.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Mine isn't as low as socal's but still very low and I've had mine fully loaded and it hasn't bottomed out at all.

Quick Reply: Lowered VS. Stock