General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Made a PT driver angry today

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

PT GT can't be faster than an hhr SS, this is the hhr forum..
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Well, the HHR SS auto starts at 250hp (as soon as 3rd arrives). Less than a grand invested will make it close to (or more than) 300hp. While I realize that torque and gearing make the difference, if you're talking horses, I think the average HHR SS owner is rolling with way more horses than a PT GT. I don't know how much you can do with a PT, but I know there is a lot of headroom in the LNF engine in the HHR SS.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
So we've established that a PT GT is faster than a HHR LS or HHR LT. But is a PT GT faster than a HHR SS, or no? 230 HP sounds like it would be close match maybe. PT Cruiser might be a lil lighter too.... would it be a close match between a HHR SS and PT GT?
stock vs stock
PT GT vs HHR SS auto (detuned from factory)...... would be a good race.
PT GT vs HHR SS manual..... the SS would easily pull away.

Originally Posted by Breadfan
Well, the HHR SS auto starts at 250hp (as soon as 3rd arrives). Less than a grand invested will make it close to (or more than) 300hp. While I realize that torque and gearing make the difference, if you're talking horses, I think the average HHR SS owner is rolling with way more horses than a PT GT. I don't know how much you can do with a PT, but I know there is a lot of headroom in the LNF engine in the HHR SS.
the PT GT is the same thing as a Neon SRT4, so all the Mopar stage kits and other aftermarket goodies for the Neon will work on the PT..... so there's lots that can be done to them. i knew a guy years ago that had a turboback exhaust, intake & manual boost controller and was running 12s on drag radials.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 AM

The key is the HHR SS in stock form will out run a PT but the Neon is lighter so it is a little closer. THe Caliper turbo has more HP so it is as fast or faster in stock form with similar weight.

As for car with mods. Few of the PT's get much I have seen a few but not many, These guys go for the Neon as it is lighter and faster. Generally they also do not hide the mods so it is generally clear that the car has had work. I have 2 at work that are 12-13 second cars and a couple here around home. Things like the Exhuast and bigger intercoolers and sprayers often point to a car that is not stock. Also they have cams in them too. The Neon was a popular car to mod here in Ohio.

Most PTs here are just sticker and bolt on mod vehicles. You will see a turbo but generally the mods are chome and a set of wheels.

I am not a Mopar fan but the Neon and the parts that you can get make for a good car to build for the street at a resonable price.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Administrator

well when all is said and done you did kill him with kindness, and you saved some fuel, to boot!!He'll be telling his site a different story of his bravery, ( or illegal urges to race you) nad all is well in bench racing land!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 AM

I wish my wife's tag said pt killer. I would have punched it. We go through I-10 in Mississippi 3 times a year to Louisiana. I'm a dodge hater. can't help it.(plymouth is same to me)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Dang....you should have dusted him!

Boydie

Originally Posted by Putter
I have a pretty good commute to work everyday (74 miles each way). About 60 of those miles are interstate. Because of the cost of gas these days, I usually set my cruise and just go.

On my way home today I spot a PT in the distance.

As I approach, I see the letters "GT" on his rear hatch.
Personally, I didn't know that a "GT" PT existed.
***Anywho, after I passed by him (using cruise) and a couple other cars, I am able to merge back to the right lane.
A few minutes later he comes flying past and merges to the right, a few cars up ahead.
Again I am forced to merge back to a passing position...and go by him a second time. This time he nails it (carbon spray for proof) and is riding my passenger door. Then lunges, then falls back, then lunges, then falls back.
All the while he is bad-mouthing me thru the window because I won't challenge him. Throwing his hands us in a "come'on...do something" manner.
Honestly, my fuel warning was on and I had no intention of wasting my last few gallons.
My reply was a visible laugh on my part and a "no no no" index finger side-to-side gesture.

I am sure I made him mad. I have the tag that declares my intentions....but refused to let him test that theory .

Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 PM

The GT wheels are not the same and the Exhaust is larger in dia. Owned one, Much fun.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

But they are so ugly, I think Brian did a much better job on the HHR.

I have never considered a turbo PT any competition, seems like I see them but they run the other way when they see the SS...........
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 PM

I thought PT cruisers had crank windows only.

Maybe just cycling your power windows would piss them off. Before they see HHR SS tail lights fading into the horizon. Just sayin'. I know SRT4 Neons had crank-only windows, and that is still a way to get their "goat". Been there, done that. It was cool.

Quick Reply: Made a PT driver angry today