General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Major differences between AC Delco filters...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Question Major differences between AC Delco filters...

Ok. I bought a new AC Delco filter yesterday and when I got home and compared it to another AC Delco that I forgot I already had on reserve, I found two things to be oddly different.

The new one is a "Hengst" filter...the other one simply says "AC Delco" on it.
Name:  IMAG1219.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  48.1 KB

The black plastic caps that cap the filter pleats is thicker on my older filter as opposed to the Hengst AC. You can see what I mean here.
Name:  IMAG1220.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  46.3 KB

And finally, what really alarmed/confused me was the hole in the center. The Hengst, even though it appears to be built with more...care... has a MUCH smaller hole in the center. There must be a reason. More pressure maybe?
Name:  IMAG1222.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  58.0 KB
I'm not sure. One or the other MUST be better considering the differences.

I installed the Hengst. I didn't like how sparse and flimsy the retainer ring clip appeared on the initial AC unit. In fact, I noticed that a plastic tab was already broken off, even though I opened it fresh.

To be honest, the Wal-mart Super Tech filters, that sell for almost a third of what the AC filters cost seems to be made better, or at least equally as well as the AC type. It's as if it has the construction quality of the Hengst, with the larger diameter center hole of the OTHER AC filter.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 AM

I think I figured it out

The bypass is in the cap. They redesigned the caps to accommodate different bypass pressure.

Any one of us could be running a filter that inadvertently tosses the oil bypass loop open and the oil is no longer filtered. If you have an old style cap, you use the large diameter centered filter.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 AM

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...asp?Part=57082 I do not use Gm products because of LOW BID quality , I use WIX oil filters for the garage and all my cars. American made and no problems. If you look at STP they are a WIX repainted for STP. Just a better quality filters.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Hengst was OE in my 08 SS
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM

That's the difference in filters I saw

Referring to my recent post concerning filters : https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/ac-delco-oil-filter-varies-configuration-37096/ your new AC/Hengst is the exact duplicate of my Walmart-bought Fram 3X (made in China). I didn't install it, but used the AC instead. Now, since I see that the AC/Hengst is the same as the unused,untrusted Fram, I'll use it (the Fram) next oil change, with no doubts (well, maybe some). I'm beginning to think that, in this pre-apocalyptic low-bid one-world economy, you can't count on anything to be 100% up to spec everytime. It is what it is. To quote the X-files: Trust no one.