General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Trans HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Manual Trans HHR

I'm trying to find a new Manual Trans. HHR to buy and they seem to be few & far between. Are there any issues to these? I've always driven a "Stick" and the 4 speed auto really leaves me cold. Are there downfalls to the HHR specific Manual transmission? Clutch problems? I tried to buy last year and there were no rebates, now that rebates abound, can't find a car...

Motoretro
Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 PM

I've had mine for 6 months now...96k total and nary a problem. Origional clutch. I'm sure some of the other members will chime in, but to my recollection, I haven't heard too many complain about 5spds. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:35 PM

They had to drive 350 miles to get my manual transmission LT. I love it. It shifts smooth, and the clutch is super easy. My wife even loves driving it, because the clutch is so smooth and easy.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Bought my 07 five speed new in March of 07. Zero problems with anything related to the clutch or the transmission. In fact the only problem I have ever had with it, was an erratic instrument cluster, which was replaced by the dealer. Mine was one of two manuals on the lot at the time, and the dealer was anxious to move it, so I got a hell of a deal on it. Have never regretted buying that car, and the five speed and the clutch are smooth and easy to use. Even reverse is syncronized.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Just came back from the dealer and had him pull the TSB's on 05-10 HHR's. There was a TSB on Manual Transmissions a while back, I believe it was 2007 although it was concerning driving characteristics, mentioning some gear rattle & gear rattle in neutral being normal. Sounded generic to me, nothing really too problematic.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, Hopefully dealer can find one for me, I may have to go to LT model to get it though. I'm a bit of a minimalist so that would be painful

Motoretro
Old 07-09-2010, 03:18 PM

If you lived in Chicagoland, you wouldn't have a problem. My problem was finding an automatic! Seemed like 8 of every 10 were manual.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 PM

Actually that might be helpful as I'm in Michigan and my dealer could do a trade and pick it up. Do you remember if it was a LS or LT?

Thanks, Motoretro

Originally Posted by PhatBob
If you lived in Chicagoland, you wouldn't have a problem. My problem was finding an automatic! Seemed like 8 of every 10 were manual.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM

I bought a new 2009 with a 5 speed manual in April 2010. With less than 1000 miles on it would occasionally rake or grind gears going from 3rd to 4th gear. I found a tsb for this problem on this site printed it off and took it to the dealer. The problem is now fixed. I liked the way it shifted before and now that its fixed I really like it. The synchronizers feel a lot more solid now that they have been changed.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:51 AM

I was told that the SS 5 speed was a porsche trans...
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Current new loaded 5-speed for sale

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&seller_type=b

Problems with the 5-speed are that its throw is too long and it's placed a bit too far back. The TWM short-shifter solves the long shift throw problem. The shifter location was modified for the SS.

Remarkably few well-optioned non-SS manual transmission HHRs have been made. In my year, only 1.5% of 2LTs were manual. I had to drive 400 miles and get lucky that a previous customer who committed to buy failed to come up with the money. There are a significant number of non-rental bare-bones LS with the 5-speed, which is made in Italy by Getrag.

Last edited by Doctuh; 07-10-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans HHR