General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Trans HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
I was told that the SS 5 speed was a porsche trans...
You were "told" wrong.

The SS has the Saab F35 trans.

Non SS's have the Getrag F23.

Both are relatively old antiques!

To the OP... My 2.4 F23 has been boosted for about 2 years now. Putting out more power than most of the SS people have posted. Yet, no trans issues. Yes, I had to put a much better clutch in it though.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
You were "told" wrong.

The SS has the Saab F35 trans.

Non SS's have the Getrag F23.

Both are relatively old antiques!
=============================

They may have been around for awhile, but the Getrag in mine, I have no complaints with.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 11-22-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I've had my LT1 since March 2008, and I just love it, good clutch, shifter throw is a little long, but it'll do for now. Only problem I encountered was with the two piece shift knob, the chrome top peice kept coming off, even the replacement from the dealer did it. This is really annoying at freeway speeds, go to shift and you end up with this pretty chrome plastic half in your hand and no shift, scared me a couple of times. Finally spent $30, for a one piece knob, problem solved.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I bought my manual trans HHR LT2 2.2L new in 2007 and has about 50,000 miles now. If I was doing it again I would still probably get the manual trans, but it has been a love-hate relationship with it.

GM obviously scrimped with the cable linkage and maybe the trans fluid. Gear synchronization is good but it is a stiff balky shifter in the manual trans HHR. I would love to drive another vehicle with the Getrag F23 trans to see how they shift. I've been tempted to try Redline MT-90 trans fluid in the transaxle to see if it improves shift quality. Anybody tried a different fluid yet???

And yes, the shift knob top comes off in my hand all the time....

Now, don't get me started on warped brake rotors every 10,000 miles.....that is real annoying

Vernon
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Long shift and knob comes apart - the cure!

These both disappear when you get the TWM short shifter and shift knob. This modification was the most useful change I made in my HHR. It's noticeable every time I drive it, of course. There is a clip on the shifter linkage which is weak and is a GM part that isn't replaced when the short shifter mechanism is installed. This can fail. TWM has been considering making a replacement for a long time now, but they haven't done it yet. So, be careful when it's installed (mine failed on day one due to problems with that clip and had to be towed back in to be repaired).

With all the problems with the automatic shifter, I'm glad I have the manual. More power, better mileage.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Vernon

GM obviously scrimped with the cable linkage and maybe the trans fluid. Gear synchronization is good but it is a stiff balky shifter in the manual trans HHR.
Vernon
The Manual HHR's ALL have Hydraulic clutches.. They share fluid with the master cylinder resirvoir.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 AM

I have had no issues at all with my stick. Shifts smooth and effortless. Personally, I would not want the shifter any shorter. The reach is very good for me.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Doctuh.....thanks for the suggestion on the TWM shift kit. Do you find it gives you just a shorter throw or does it actually make for a smoother less effort on the lever kind of shift?

Sleeper.....my hydraulic clutch works great. My wish is that the HHR shifted as smooth as a VW or Honda, etc. and feel the cable linkage between the shift lever and transaxle and/or the internal fluid in the transaxle could possibly be improved. Have you done anything along these lines?

thanks,
Vernon
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM

TWM shifter effects

The shifter shortens the shift significantly. The risk of that is imprecise shift feel. However, when actually using it I don't believe the shifting feel is any worse, or for that matter any better. This is an older transmission design, and sometimes I have to depress and let off the clutch before it will let me get into first gear.

With respect to the effort of getting into gear, the weighted shift knob is what really helps. I first noticed this when I went from an aluminum to titanium shift knob on my S2000. There's nothing magic about titanium - it was just the only other factory option for an S2000. TWM aftermarket shifters come with an aluminum knob (since the factory knob is not compatible with them). I strongly suggest substituting one of their steel knobs, because the additional weight improves the feel of going into gear. When purchased at the same time as the shifter, they give you partial credit toward it for deleting the aluminum one.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM

I searched for the right 5-speed for me... found it 4 hours away... and LOVE IT! woudl not want an automatic. I think it just make the ride that much more "sporty".... and the only problem i have is that heavy shifter knob gets AWFUL cold during these winter months..LOL guess i need a shifter cover...

Quick Reply: Manual Trans HHR