General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
In another thread, there were comments that MTs are less likely to be stolen.

Having had my old Silverado ripped off, I consider that an extra benefit with my HHR.
I guess that would be because the thieves can't drive it! If thats true, I see that as an advantage for those of us with manual transmissions!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
I guess that would be because the thieves can't drive it! If thats true, I see that as an advantage for those of us with manual transmissions!

I never heard of that before... I would think the manuals are easier to steal as the column doesn't lock. Thieves could virtually push/pull it away.

I love my 5 spd also. Wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I never heard of that before... I would think the manuals are easier to steal as the column doesn't lock. Thieves could virtually push/pull it away.

A year or so ago there was a car jacking that happened in the Atlanta area, theives only went a block or so and dumped the car, it was due to it being a manual.

I just hate auto's, to boring to drive, especially in a small car.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM

I had to special order my 08 2.4 2LT.My dealer wouldn't stock a stick,not even a 2.2 1LS base model(others here will).I remember my salesman saying something like "So that's what a stick shift looks like in one of these.I've never seen one."
The availability of the 2.4/5 speed has varied over the model run.I had hoped to be able to get a 1LT(I didn't want all the chrome of the 2LT) like a 2006 or a 2007 but for 2008 it wasn't offered with the 2.4/5 speed.And for 2009 I believe you couldn't even order a 2.4/5 speed in any vehicle.If you wanted a stick,you got a 2.2 or an SS.That's the outcome of my car being one of 250 built with that trim level/driveline combo.
I love my stick.I don't EVER want to go back to a slushbox.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM

I have an 06 1LT with the 2.4L and a 5-speed manual. I had to order it as the local dealer network only had one 2.4/5-speed combo and it wasn't the color I wanted.

BTW, about 10 years ago there was an armed robbery attempt at the local suburban Wal-Mart here. The local police showed up and sent the thieves scattering. Most were arrested immediately, but one of the got away. He got to a local apartent complex, where he (at gunpoint) forced a driver out of his car and took it over. Unfortunately for him it was a standard and he did not know how to drive standard. After stalling it a few times in the parking lot, he was arrested.

Steve
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM

I would get your steering column checked. They most certainly do lock.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

I know there aren't that many HHR manuals. I went to a hotel, awhile ago, and the valet kid almost went nuts with excitment when he saw the five speed, saying I didn't know these came with stick.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Laco
I know there aren't that many HHR manuals. I went to a hotel, awhile ago, and the valet kid almost went nuts with excitment when he saw the five speed, saying I didn't know these came with stick.
Something similiar happened to me, except they got in, turned the key and they had the look of why didn't it start.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman
I would get your steering column checked. They most certainly do lock.
Really? Yours locks when taking out the key? Mine never has, and I thought I read somewhere on here regarding this... that none of the manual trans HHR's columns lock. Have to check into this further!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Really? Yours locks when taking out the key? Mine never has, and I thought I read somewhere on here regarding this... that none of the manual trans HHR's columns lock. Have to check into this further!
It should lock, mine does too! The transmission doesn't lock, since there is no park to lock it into, but the steering wheel most certainly does.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions