General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
Really? Yours locks when taking out the key? Mine never has, and I thought I read somewhere on here regarding this... that none of the manual trans HHR's columns lock. Have to check into this further!
You have to turn the wheel either to the left or right after you remove the key. It is a safety feature that, IIRC, is required on all vehicles to insure that the vehicle does not roll out into traffic on hills.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Wow, I stand corrected! I just went out and checked and sure enough it does... If you really crank on it and get about 3/4 of a revolution in the counterclockwise (and 1/4 rev in the clockwise direction) mine locks also.

I know I have never turned the wheel that far after I shut the car off. Why would you? If you are goung to turn the wheel when you park on a hill you obviously would do it before you shut he car off so you have power steering while doing so. I have even pushed the car out of the garage while turning the wheel to do so (to lazy to get the keys! ) and never had the column lock on me before.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM

When I bought mine on 12/26/07, the dealer had 7 2007 manuels, 2 ls models and 5 1lt all equiped the same, 2 black, 2 white, and 1 sport red metallic which I bought. Each had 5200.00 in options which made them like a 2lt but with a manuel trans. I guess manuels are more popular in the south.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
Wow, I stand corrected! I just went out and checked and sure enough it does... If you really crank on it and get about 3/4 of a revolution in the counterclockwise (and 1/4 rev in the clockwise direction) mine locks also.

I know I have never turned the wheel that far after I shut the car off. Why would you? If you are goung to turn the wheel when you park on a hill you obviously would do it before you shut he car off so you have power steering while doing so. I have even pushed the car out of the garage while turning the wheel to do so (to lazy to get the keys! ) and never had the column lock on me before.
I remember it being stated in the drivers handbook for the state of CO and TX both, that when one parks on a hill, they are to turn the wheel towards the curb if parked facing uphill, or away from the curb if parked facing downhill. The steering column locks to hold the wheel in that turned position (so that the car will roll and stop at the curb or ditch). Locking the wheel renders it undriveable to theives as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 AM

on july 30th this year on the way to work-i stopped by my local chevy dealer on behalf of my co-worker mike--to see if they had any hhrs in stock--because a lot of dealers had been runnin out of new cars because of the feeding frenzy that the cluncker deal was causing and he liked the hhr which i was not too familiar with--the salesman the met me at the door said they had 5--- i had been lookin at used cars like 03 elements---the sales dude pointed out a black 5 speed ls----my fav color and i only drive 5 sps cause they r a lot more fun --i tried not to go ga ga over it but--yada yada yada-----4 hrs later i'm driving my new hhr!!!!!!!----4500 off cluncker---4500 off chevy discounts----it was akin to a small miracle-if you r religious--or the luckiest combination of cause and effect if u r not---my friend mike got a nice grey one too-----all i can say after 3 months---is " I FRIKKIN LOVE IT!!!!"
Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Somewhere on this thread or another, someone referenced a problem shifitng. There were comments that the HHR uses cables rather than solid linkage between the gearshift and the transmission. Anyone know for sure? How reliable are cables vs linkage, and are there any special lubrication requirements for the cable, or is it sealed?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM

Smile % Speed HHR's

I wonder if a 5 speed is hard for the thief to steal would a Ins. Co. offer us a discount like haveing air bags or anti lock break's ????
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlackHHR06
I wonder if a 5 speed is hard for the thief to steal would a Ins. Co. offer us a discount like haveing air bags or anti lock break's ????
From my experience, no.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM

It's only harder to steal IF the thief doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. Otherwise it is actually easier to steal. So technically insurance for a manual transmission should cost more.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
It's only harder to steal IF the thief doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. Otherwise it is actually easier to steal. So technically insurance for a manual transmission should cost more.
That you will have to explain.....

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions