General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Manual Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM

If you remove the shift boot you can see the two cables the shifter uses.

I love 5 speeds and have owned many. However, I personally think that the HHR is one of the worst shifting cars I have ever owned. I even installed a TWM short shifter (first one to do it, and I helped to write there instructions used on there web site) which is a big improvement over the one the car came with. But the shifting, especially from 4th. to 5th. is still sluggish and not very smooth. As an example, I purchased a 97 Integra for my son and it's shifting absolutely puts my HHR to shame.

Any way back to the cables. They in my opinion are the reason for the poor shifting. Chevy just doesn't have this down very well.

This is just my opinion. You may or may not agree with me. That's up to you.

I will say if you want improvement than the TWM kit goes along way in helping.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
If you remove the shift boot you can see the two cables the shifter uses.

I love 5 speeds and have owned many. However, I personally think that the HHR is one of the worst shifting cars I have ever owned. I even installed a TWM short shifter (first one to do it, and I helped to write there instructions used on there web site) which is a big improvement over the one the car came with. But the shifting, especially from 4th. to 5th. is still sluggish and not very smooth. As an example, I purchased a 97 Integra for my son and it's shifting absolutely puts my HHR to shame.

Any way back to the cables. They in my opinion are the reason for the poor shifting. Chevy just doesn't have this down very well.

This is just my opinion. You may or may not agree with me. That's up to you.

I will say if you want improvement than the TWM kit goes along way in helping.
I can shift mine with my pinky, I've done it. Extremely smooth. If you install a short shifter, you will loose the smoothness, that's a given. Sounds like you had an issue the dealer should have fixed.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

I am pleased with the way mine shifts. I have always felt, from day 1, it was very smooth and easy. The only problem I ever had was, when it was new, it was sometimes very diffifult to get it into second, but with use and miles that problem self resolved.

Perhaps, Rcflyboy, there is something else going on with your transmission or???
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I can shift mine with my pinky, I've done it. Extremely smooth. If you install a short shifter, you will loose the smoothness, that's a given. Sounds like you had an issue the dealer should have fixed.
solman98, what do you think a short shifter does? You obviously must think it's shorter? Well, it's not! All a true short shifter does is make the shifter "THROWS" shorter. By having a good quality short shifter the shifts are much smoother (not "Less Smooth" as you suggest) and shorter. Your however correct in you comment that a shorter shifter would be less smooth. It would take more force to shift if the shifter shaft was actually shorter.

As for yours and "Laco's" suggestion that I should go to the dealer to have them check my original shifter out. Well if you have read any of my past post you'll find out I already did that. What do ya think Chevy said? That's the way they are. To prove it to me they let me try out another 5-speed HHR and it was exactly the same.

Try going to the "TWM" web site and educate your self before putting down some body else.

Oh Ya. You must have one really strong pinky. Man I would love to see ya **** the HHR with it!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM

This afternoon I stopped into our local Chevy Dealer, Ontario Motor Sales in Oshawa. What a beautiful sight......3 new 2010's with 5 speeds, big Ferrari style shift knobs. One a black SS and 2 LS's all in one place at one time. It was more 5 speeds than I have ever seen. One was destined to a Stalterbauer Motors (spelling) in Calgary Alberta can you believe being dropped of here in Oshawa some 2000 miles away. Is the word about 5 speeds finally getting around I wondered. The serial numbers were fresh. One was 000068.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ramos
Has anyone ever seen or done a survey on the number of owners with manual transmissions? My 2009 purchased in June was the first manual transmission my dealer had ever ordered. I have only ever seen two others. I was never able to drive one before placing an order, although I did drive a Cobalt with a 5 speed I believe was a Getrag as in the HHR.

The 5 speed was a "must have" for me. My dealer had to get one from Connecticut. I'm in NY. I wish they offerred a 6 speed.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Laco
I am pleased with the way mine shifts. I have always felt, from day 1, it was very smooth and easy. The only problem I ever had was, when it was new, it was sometimes very diffifult to get it into second, but with use and miles that problem self resolved.

Perhaps, Rcflyboy, there is something else going on with your transmission or???
My 09 LS 5 speed is super smooth but sometimes on a colder morning it requires a bit more effort to engage first gear and reverse. The reverse gear is also sychronized. Let it warm for a couple of minutes and it is ok. The Getrag 5 speed F23/RPO M86 is made in Bari Italy and filled with automatic transmission fluid, Dexron V1 for life. Don't know why automatic fluid is used. Perhaps to cut down on fluid drag for fuel economy. Automatic fluid is very slippery and perhaps is too slippery for proper sychronization. Other vehicles I have owned have MTF (manual transmission fluid) in the gearbox like a GL4 or GL5. A Redline product MTF out of Martinez California is popular on our local racetrack Mosport. Very interesting reading Redline's comments on their MTF. Worthwhile reading....
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 AM

The 5 speed was a must for me too, as was the 2.4. I got lucky and found them in a Fall Edition!

If only there were a gear to do 75MPH at 2000RPMs...
Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BLAQ
The 5 speed was a must for me too, as was the 2.4. I got lucky and found them in a Fall Edition!

If only there were a gear to do 75MPH at 2000RPMs...
There is in a ZO6.......

I'm 2000 at 55 mph. 09 LS, 2.2, 5 speed, 3.95 final drive, .81 fifth speed gear.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
...Man I would love to see ya **** the HHR with it!!!
OUCH!

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions